These days couples decide to have children later in their life. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? How is it affecting the family life and society?

In recent decades, there is a phenomenon that couples tend to have their first child five to ten years after their marriage. I personally believe that people nowadays would rather have child as late as possible due to career or other personal considerations as will now be discussed.

Firstly, the cost of raising a child is significantly high and some young couples are not ready to bear the burden yet. Statistics have shown that the expenditure of raising a child to his or her 18s would require more than two hundred thousand US dollars. Therefore, it is the reason why people would like to have children later in their life when they are financially stable.

Secondly, there is a tradeoff between having a baby and career development which is especially faced by many women. Traditionally, the mother role of the child have to devote most of her time taking care of her daughter or son. This is definitely an obstacle to her career development. When people decide to postpone their plan of pregnancy to 5-10 years, they can take the advantage of this time to get promotion in their careers.

However, people at their late 30s may have various health problems such as infertility that prevent them from being pregnant. Medical studies have indicated that the chance of getting pregnant in their late 30s decreased dramatically compared with their 20s. Although, people have different reasons to postpone their plan of having child, they should bear the risks of having a child in their late life.

Your language is great! Try to put more words (around 350) to get higher marks. and read those top list essays to get ideas:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/ielts

You have the potential to get mark 8.0.