You are hereToday , the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

Today , the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

iceecreami's picture

By iceecreami - Posted on 10 August 2012

In today modern world and technology, mass communication can be carried out easily. This leads to the emergence of advertisement. Some people believe that selling products are also much easier now, however some others say that products sold are only dependant on the consumers’ needs. In my opinion, I believe that advertisement of sales to a certain degree; but mostly rely on the needs of the society.

Advertisements of certain products, allow it to become well-known due to its frequent appearance in public such as TV and Newspapers. They can also persuade or con consumers to buy their products, and this is often successful on naive customers. Therefore, it results in boosting sales of the products.

However, it should be taken into consideration that majority of the consumers only buy what they need due to financial reasons. Most of consumers compare qualities, prices and their need for the items. For instance, Apple IPhones are relatively popular throughout the world, even though they do minimal of advertising. What explains its huge success is the phone itself. The smart phones provide a sensitive touchscreen and multi-tasking abilities, which were lack in the market back then. Therefore, the phones sold rapidly due to the markets demand for such phones. Furthermore, other essential home products such as Televisions, stoves or refrigerator, are of high sales because, it is solely based on the needs of the consumers. These prove that sales are more based on the products and the demand for it.

In conclusion, I think that the power of advertisements only play a small role in the boosts of sales of products, but when it comes down to buying the goods, consumers do have many other considerations to make , especially if the items are of good use to them . Therefore, the needs of the society are definitely reflected on sales.

The diagram below shows how the Australian Bureau of Meteorology collects up-to-the-minute information on the weather in order to produce reliable forecasts. Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. adventurer
Popular events like the football World Cup and other international sporting occasions are essential in easing international tension releasing patriotic emotions in a safe way. ariel1984
In many part of the world, families were larger in the past because people had more children.Do you think there were more advantages or disadvantages to being part of large family in the past? Yora
IELTS essay:Should animals be the friends of people or should they be regarded as the sources of people’s food and clothes? State your positions with your own experience. essayking
Popular events like the football World Cup and other international sporting occasions are essential in easing international tensions and releasing patriotic emotions in a safe way.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? kamran7
Do you think that Private Institutions Should be Banned? Discuss your options . ankushgurumaa
Improvements in health, education and trade are essential for the development of poorer nations. However, the governments of richer nations should take more responsibility for helping the poorer nations in such areas. ariel1984
Some people think that children should obey rules and do everything as their parents and teachers say. Others believe that children are controlled too much might be not well-prepared for their adult life. Tohir Bin Umar ...
The chart below shows the percentage of male and female teachers in six different types of educational setting in the UK in 2010.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. Fadlanmuzakki
writing task 1 (graph) Tessy James sticky icon

Some people think the environmental protection can only be addressed at international level. Do you agree or disagree? shi24 sticky icon
Some people believe that success in life depends on hard work and determination, while others believe that other factors like money and personal appearance are important. Discuss both views and give your opinion. Lê Kim Kiều Anh
The chart below shows the total number of minutes of telephone calls in the UK, divided into three categories, from 1995-2002. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people think the environmental protection can only be addressed at international level. Do you agree or disagree? white_eagle@live.cn
Some people agree that teachers should be strict with their students; others believe that teachers with friendly approach will achieve better results. Discuss and give your opinion. Justin sticky icon
Recycling is a pointless activity, it is fraught with inefficiency. Governments need to develop policies to tackle waste and other issues at source. Farkhad
People nowadays live longer than they used to. What caused this situation? Is it a negative or positive development? Justin sticky icon
Many people think that money brings hapiness,others think that having too much money is a probelem.discuss both views and give your own opinion? gurtej sidhu
Under British and Australian laws a jury in a criminal case has no access to information about the defendant's past criminal record. This protects the person who is being accused of the crime.Some lawyers have suggested that this practice should be change Shokh sticky icon
The bar chart shows the scores of teams A,B and C over four different seasons. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant. shi24

"Prevention is better than cure."Out of country's health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventive measures. carmela6 sticky icon
Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you.• When and where you used the taxi• Describe a problem you have faced• What do you expect the manager to do? swapnay sticky icon
The charts below give information on the ages of the populations of Yemen and Italy in 2000 and projections for 2050Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Shokh sticky icon
Media portrays young people as lazy and disrespectful.Do u think this true?Are young people today worse than their parents or does ,every new generation get criticized by older people? awais sticky icon
International community must act immediately to ensure all nations to reduce their consumption of fossil fuels e.g gas and oil. To what extent do you agree or disagree Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people think saving money is good, but others think that spending money is a better way to enjoy life. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. gainer04 sticky icon
The graph and table give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. luckysun sticky icon