You are hereToday , the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

Today , the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

iceecreami's picture

By iceecreami - Posted on 10 August 2012

In today modern world and technology, mass communication can be carried out easily. This leads to the emergence of advertisement. Some people believe that selling products are also much easier now, however some others say that products sold are only dependant on the consumers’ needs. In my opinion, I believe that advertisement of sales to a certain degree; but mostly rely on the needs of the society.

Advertisements of certain products, allow it to become well-known due to its frequent appearance in public such as TV and Newspapers. They can also persuade or con consumers to buy their products, and this is often successful on naive customers. Therefore, it results in boosting sales of the products.

However, it should be taken into consideration that majority of the consumers only buy what they need due to financial reasons. Most of consumers compare qualities, prices and their need for the items. For instance, Apple IPhones are relatively popular throughout the world, even though they do minimal of advertising. What explains its huge success is the phone itself. The smart phones provide a sensitive touchscreen and multi-tasking abilities, which were lack in the market back then. Therefore, the phones sold rapidly due to the markets demand for such phones. Furthermore, other essential home products such as Televisions, stoves or refrigerator, are of high sales because, it is solely based on the needs of the consumers. These prove that sales are more based on the products and the demand for it.

In conclusion, I think that the power of advertisements only play a small role in the boosts of sales of products, but when it comes down to buying the goods, consumers do have many other considerations to make , especially if the items are of good use to them . Therefore, the needs of the society are definitely reflected on sales.