You are hereToday , the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

Today , the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

iceecreami's picture

By iceecreami - Posted on 10 August 2012

In today modern world and technology, mass communication can be carried out easily. This leads to the emergence of advertisement. Some people believe that selling products are also much easier now, however some others say that products sold are only dependant on the consumers’ needs. In my opinion, I believe that advertisement of sales to a certain degree; but mostly rely on the needs of the society.

Advertisements of certain products, allow it to become well-known due to its frequent appearance in public such as TV and Newspapers. They can also persuade or con consumers to buy their products, and this is often successful on naive customers. Therefore, it results in boosting sales of the products.

However, it should be taken into consideration that majority of the consumers only buy what they need due to financial reasons. Most of consumers compare qualities, prices and their need for the items. For instance, Apple IPhones are relatively popular throughout the world, even though they do minimal of advertising. What explains its huge success is the phone itself. The smart phones provide a sensitive touchscreen and multi-tasking abilities, which were lack in the market back then. Therefore, the phones sold rapidly due to the markets demand for such phones. Furthermore, other essential home products such as Televisions, stoves or refrigerator, are of high sales because, it is solely based on the needs of the consumers. These prove that sales are more based on the products and the demand for it.

In conclusion, I think that the power of advertisements only play a small role in the boosts of sales of products, but when it comes down to buying the goods, consumers do have many other considerations to make , especially if the items are of good use to them . Therefore, the needs of the society are definitely reflected on sales.

The graph below shows the number of complaints made about noise to Environmental Health authorities in the city of Newtown between 1980 and 1996. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. Nur Shabrina
BECAUSE OF THE PRESSURE OF NEW SUBJECTS SUCH AS BUSINESS STUDIES, MANY SCHOOL HAVE DROPPED SPORT OR PHYSICAL EDUCATION (PE) FROM THE CURRICULUM.HOW IMPORTANT IS SPORT OR PE IN YOUNG PERSON’S EDUCATION? rendrasyah
The charts below show the number of Japanese tourists travelling abroad between 1985 and 1995 and Australia's share of Japanese tourist market. fialka
Q.....GRAPHThe graph below shows the demand for electricity in England during typical days in winter and summer. (Cambridge IELTS 4, page 54) Tessy James
The chart below shows the amount of money per week spent on fast foods in Britain. The graph shows the trends in consumption of fast foods. mahwishhashmi12
The three pie charts below show the changes in annual spending by a particular UK school in 1981, 1991 and 2001. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. MisterWandering
Choose one of the following transportation vehicles and explain whyyou think it has changed people’s lives.• automobiles• bicycles• airplanesUse specific reasons and examples to support your answer. syahid prabowo
General Traning Task 1One of your pen pals will shortly be visiting your city. For some reasons, you can not manage to meet him at the airport on time.Write a letter asking him to wait for you at the airport and tell him how to identify you.•You should wr sliwer
People in all modern societies use drugs, but today's youth are expertimenting with both legal and illegal drugs, and at an increasingly early age. Some sociologists claim that parents and other members of society often set a bad example.Discuss the cause sfaht1 sticky icon
The number of overweight children is developed countries is increasing. Some people think this is due to problems such as the growing number of fast food outlets. Others believe that parents are to blame for not looking after their children's health . To Shahasib

Water is a natural resource thatshould always be free.Governments should ban the saleof bottled water.To what extent doyou agree or disagree? drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Write complaint letter to the airline manager regarding the behavior of one of staff members on your flight. In your letter- Give full details of your flight.- Say what the problem with the staff member was.- What would you like the manager to do regardin marzieh IELTS
Some people argue that cars should be banned in city centres while others are against this idea. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion. Rahi IELTS
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5 IELTS
The pie chart shows the amount of money that a children's charity located in the USA spent and received in one year.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant. raman nmbrbar sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some people think women should be allowed to join the army, the navy and the air force just like men. To what extent do you agree or disagree? eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Some say that it would be better if the majority of employees worked from home instead of travelling to a workplace every day.Do you think the advantages of working from home outweigh the disadvantages? fialka IELTS
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh IELTS
We are becoming increasingly dependent on computers.They are used in business,hospitals,crime detection and even to fly planes.What things will they be used for in future? Is this dependence on computers a good thing or should we be more suspecious of the dhruv546 IELTS Writing Task II
some people think living in big cities is bad for people's health. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Hao IELTS Writing Task II

Nowadays companies and other organisations are requiring their employees to wear a uniform. Think about jobs where uniform is important. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a uniform? Justin sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more and more important.This trend is seriously damaging our quality of life. eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Do the dangers derived from the use of chemicals in food production and preservation outweigh the advantages? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowladge. drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views xizon7777 IELTS Writing Task II
Essay topic:Most of big cities are overpopulated. Why do people still move to big cities? Give your opinion and example. Miachel IELTS Writing Task II
Many people believe that the main aim for university education is to help graduates to find better job, while some people believe that university education has wider benefit individual and society. discuss both views and give your opinion. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishm lrana32 IELTS Writing Task II
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective? divyaece0903@gm... IELTS Writing Task II
Transport Modes in a European City 1960-2000 djongiskhan IELTS Writing Task I
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I

Performance of four different sectors in India between 2000 to 2010 simranvirk sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some people think that professional athletes make good role models for young people, while others believe they don’t.Discuss both these points of views and give your own opinion.Write at least 250 words. eddysuaib sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Nowadays movies and computer games containing violence are very popular. Some people believe that they have negative effect on the society and should be banned, others, however, believe that it is harmless entertainment. Discuss both vies and give your ow lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The table below gives information on consumer spending on different items in five different countries in 2002. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. xizon7777 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
The two maps below show an island, before and after construction of some tourist facilities.Summarise the information by selectiong and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
The diagram below shows the Australian Bureau of Meteorology collects up-to-the-minute information on the weather in order to produce to reliable forecasts. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I