You are hereToday , the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

Today , the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

iceecreami's picture

By iceecreami - Posted on 10 August 2012

In today modern world and technology, mass communication can be carried out easily. This leads to the emergence of advertisement. Some people believe that selling products are also much easier now, however some others say that products sold are only dependant on the consumers’ needs. In my opinion, I believe that advertisement of sales to a certain degree; but mostly rely on the needs of the society.

Advertisements of certain products, allow it to become well-known due to its frequent appearance in public such as TV and Newspapers. They can also persuade or con consumers to buy their products, and this is often successful on naive customers. Therefore, it results in boosting sales of the products.

However, it should be taken into consideration that majority of the consumers only buy what they need due to financial reasons. Most of consumers compare qualities, prices and their need for the items. For instance, Apple IPhones are relatively popular throughout the world, even though they do minimal of advertising. What explains its huge success is the phone itself. The smart phones provide a sensitive touchscreen and multi-tasking abilities, which were lack in the market back then. Therefore, the phones sold rapidly due to the markets demand for such phones. Furthermore, other essential home products such as Televisions, stoves or refrigerator, are of high sales because, it is solely based on the needs of the consumers. These prove that sales are more based on the products and the demand for it.

In conclusion, I think that the power of advertisements only play a small role in the boosts of sales of products, but when it comes down to buying the goods, consumers do have many other considerations to make , especially if the items are of good use to them . Therefore, the needs of the society are definitely reflected on sales.

The table illustrates the population size of 10 major countries in the year 2010 and 2100. The figures demonstrate a clear increase in population size in 2100 compared to 2010. Neeshiya Fernando
It is important to ensure that children with a wide range of abilities and from a variety of social backgrounds mix with each other at school. To what extent do you agree or disagree?Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your musrah
The problem of obesity is becoming a serious issue all over the world. Some people argue that the price of fatting foods should be increased to reduce the growth of this problem.Do you agree or disagree. Jasmeetgill
Research indicates that the characteristics we are born with have much more influence on our personality and development than any experiences we may have in our life.Which do you consider to be the major influence? (REWRITE) Fardhani Dwi Ar...
Being a celebrity – such as a famous film star or sports personality – brings problems as well as benefits.Do you think that being a celebrity brings more benefits or more problems ?Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your sliwer
According to recent study, the more time people use the Internet, the less time they spend with real human beings. Should we worry about the effect this is having on social interaction or should we see the Internet as a way opening up new communication po Priyap
There are many talented people in the world (e.g singers, actors, sports people), but only a few of the become very famous.who do some talented people become very famous, while others do not?Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples f jcp1
Many people say that the only way to guarantee getting a good job is to complete a course of university education. Others claim that it is better to start work after school and gain experience in the world of work.How far do you agree or disagree with the helia123
Some people regard video games as harmless fun, or even as a useful educational tool. Others, however, believe that video games are having an adverse effect on the people who play them. In your opinion, do the drawbacks of video games outweigh the benefit ieltstaker1410
Many countries host international sporting events these days.What are the positive and negative impacts of hosting such events.Discuss both sides and give yous opinion. surjeet singh

Should arts-related entertainment venues such as museums and art galleries be free of charge for the general public, or should a charge apply for admittance? kohbarfi
The pie graphs below show the results of a survey of children's activities. The first graph shows the cultural and leisure activities that boys participate in, whereas the second graph shows the activities in which girls participate. eddysuaib
The gap between the rich and the poor is becoming wider, the rich more richer, the poor even more poorer. What problems can the situation cause and give solutions? Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh
Nowadays an increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life. Is this a positive or a negative development? Justin sticky icon
Economic progress is one factor that is being considered to measure the success of a country,but there are other factors that should be considered when measuring the success of a country. Do you agree or disagree? What other factors do you think should be Justin sticky icon
Some people believe that technological tools such as body scanner and CCTV have significantly enhanced our safety and security, while others feel that they have resulted In a loss of privacy.Do the benefits of these items outweigh their disadvantages? Justin sticky icon
The table and the bar chart below give information about traveling to work in Houston, Texas.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. eddysuaib
some people think that strict punishments for driving offences are the key to reducing traffic accidents.others,however,believe that other measures would be more effective in improving road safety. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion gincysusan
Some Experts Believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at Primary School rather than Secondary School septi

These days, in many countries fewer and fewer people want to become teachers, particularly in secondary schools. What are the reasons for this, and how could the problem be solved? uzboy sticky icon
An increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life time. Is this a positive or negative development. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people agree that teachers should be strict with their students; others believe that teachers with friendly approach will achieve better results. Discuss and give your opinion. Justin sticky icon
Under British and Australian laws a jury in a criminal case has no access to information about the defendant's past criminal record. This protects the person who is being accused of the crime.Some lawyers have suggested that this practice should be change Shokh sticky icon
The graph below gives information about international tourist arrivals in different parts of world. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting main features, and make comparisons where relevant Kal-El
The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. shi24 sticky icon
Will computers replace teachers in classrooms?As computers are being used more and more in education, there will be soon no role for teachers in the classroom. parya mirjani sticky icon
The bar chart shows the scores of teams A,B and C over four different seasons. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant. shi24

Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you.• When and where you used the taxi• Describe a problem you have faced• What do you expect the manager to do? swapnay sticky icon
"Prevention is better than cure."Out of country's health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventive measures. carmela6 sticky icon
Do you thin business should hire employees who will spend thier entire lives working for the company? Explain why you agree or disagree. the beauty of E... sticky icon
The table below shows the consumer durables( telephone,refrigerator, etc,) owned in Britain from 1972 to 1983.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. carmela6 sticky icon
Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to learn this? Discuss both these views and give your opinion? satyakrishna23 sticky icon