You are hereWhen a country develops its technology , the traditional skills and ways of life die out. It is pointless to try and keep them alive . To what extend do you agree or disagree?

When a country develops its technology , the traditional skills and ways of life die out. It is pointless to try and keep them alive . To what extend do you agree or disagree?

iceecreami's picture

By iceecreami - Posted on 08 August 2012

Technology has affected and changed many aspects of our lives. Besides damaging environmental consequences, it has positively transformed our society to a more efficient and convenient place to live in. However, this has sparked a debateable question , that should old skills and ways of life be abolished since better methods are discovered?

On one hand, some believe keeping old traditions means that fewer people will utilize modern facilities and hence resulting a weaker force to drive the inventions of new discoveries. In turn, this will cause a hindrance to developments of the country and the consequence of falling behind other countries.

On the other hand, other reasoned the importance of practicing old tradition and ways of life. By doing so, means preserving the country’s origin and preserving the uniqueness of the country. This is the only way which differentiates a modern country from many other modern countries. A good example will be Vietnam , still keeping the rickshaws despites advancements of transportations . The rickshaws do not only act as a tourist attraction and create many jobs for the citizens, but also a symbol of Viet Nam.

Thus , in my opinion , I believe that countries should not abandon their own traditions and make the best effort to keep it alive .This is because it is considered as a pride of the country. However , countries should also avoid too much indulgence of the past and neglect the importance of advancing their technology in this ever changing world.