IELTS | Test Takers - Speaking sample - part 3

Speaking topics in text

In the Speaking test, you have a discussion with a certified Examiner. It is interactive and as close to a real-life situation as a test can get.

The test is 11 to 14 minutes long with three parts. In Part 1, you answer questions about yourself and your family. In Part 2, you speak about a topic. In Part 3, you have a longer discussion on the topic.

There are three parts to the test and each part fulfils a specific function in terms of interaction pattern, task input and candidate output.

The Speaking test is the same for both Academic and General Training tests.

Speaking sample task – Part 3
Part 3 – Two-way discussion
Let’s consider first of all how people’s values have changed.
• What kind of things give status to people in your country?
• Have things changed since your parents’ time?
Finally, let’s talk about the role of advertising.
• Do you think advertising influences what people buy?

Speaking sample task – Part 3 transcript
Part 3 – Two-way discussion
Transcript
Examiner: We’ve been talking about things we own. I’d like to discuss with you one or two more general questions relating to this topic. First, let’s consider values and the way they can change. In Switzerland, what kind of possessions do you think give status to people?
Candidate: The first thing which comes in my mind is the car. Yes, because lots of people like to have posh cars or expensive cars to show their status, their place in the society.
Examiner: Is that a new development?
Candidate: No, I think it isn’t.
Examiner: People have thought like that for quite a long time?
Candidate: Yes. Another thing is probably the clothing. It starts already when you are young. When the children go to school they want to have posh labels on their jumpers or good shoes.
Examiner: What do you think of this way of thinking, that I need to have a car or certain clothes to show my status?
Candidate: Probably it’s sometimes a replacement for something you don’t have, so if your wife has left you or your girlfriend, you just buy some new, I don’t know, new watches or new clothes to make you satisfied again.
Examiner: You don’t think of it as a healthy way of thinking?
Candidate: It’s probably not honest to yourself. You can understand what I mean?
Examiner: Yes. And do you think this will change? In the future, will cars and designer clothes be status symbols in the same way?
Candidate: I’m sure that clothes will be ... that the thing with the clothes will be the same. I’m not so sure about the cars because cars cause lots of environmental problems and probably in some years, a few years, this will change because it’s not reasonable to drive a car anymore.
Examiner: Can you tell me a little bit more about that? ...

Online speaking recording
Speaking category