The chart below shows estimated world illiteracy rates by region and by gender for the year 2000.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information below.

The bar charts elucidate the illiteracy rates by 6 different regions and by gender for 2000.

Over 40% of women from developing countries were illiterate; over 50% in South Asia, just over 50% in Arab states and nearly 50% for Sub-Saharan Africa. The illiteracy rate in Latin America and Oceania, o the other hand was only 1% and 20% respectively. Based from the graph, the illiterate women were higher in developing countries than the illiterate women in developed countries.

Interestingly, Latin America/Caribbean area had a similar illiteracy rate in both genders as approximately 1-% each.

The illiterate male showed a similar rate as those as females. As it showed from the graph, the illiterate rate among developing countries for male is higher than those in developed countries; about 28% to 34% in developing regions and less than 10% for developed regions.

It is apparent that, overall illiteracy rate in women is higher than men. Especially, the developing regions such as Sub-Saharan Africa, Arab states and South Asia recorded more than half of world’s illiteracy rate. The least illiteracy region was developed countries for both genders.

the illiterate women were higher in developing countries than the illiterate women in developed countries.
the illiterate women were higher in developing countries than those in developed countries.

overall illiteracy rate in women is higher than men.
overall the illiteracy rate in women is higher than that in men.

Where are 'developed regions' ?

'about 28% to 34% in developing regions and less than 10% for developed regions.'

------------------------