The charts below give information about USA marriage and divorce rates between 1970 and 2000, and the marital status of adult Americans in two of the years. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparison where

The charts below give information about USA marriage and divorce rates between 1970 and 2000, and the marital status of adult Americans in two of the years.

Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparison where relevant.

The first bar chart illustrates marriage and divorce rates in the last three decades of previous century. Whilst the second graph shows comparison of marital statuses of adult Americans between the year 1970 and 2000. Overall, frequency of marriages has decreased significantly compared to divorces, which has showed an up going trend.

To begin with, it is evident that marriage was a popular affair in 1970, about 2.5 million couples married compared to 1 million divorces that were filed that year. Through the span of 10 years marriage rate remained the same, however, divorces increased markedly reaching a peak of a little lower than 1.5 million in 1980. After that there has been a steady decline in both categories with around 2 million marriages in 2000 and divorce rate dropping back to that of 1970.

Furthermore, it is clear in the second bar graph that overall percentage of married couples has dropped down from 70% in 1970 to 60% in 2000. On the contrary, divorced couples or individuals that never married has increased, stating almost 10% and 20% of the total population respectively, at the the start of the century.

Overall, frequency of marriages has decreased significantly
Overall, the frequency of marriages has decreased significantly

that were filed that year.
that were filed at that year.

divorced couples or individuals that never married has increased,
divorced couples or individuals who are never married have increased,

Sentence: On the contrary, divorced couples or individuals that never married has increased, stating almost 10 and 20 of the total population respectively, at the the start of the century.
Description: The token the is not usually followed by an article
Suggestion: Refer to the and the

'widowed' got lost.

---------------------