Millions of people every year move to English-speaking countries such as Australia, Britain or America, in order to study at school, college or university. Why do so many people want to study in English? Why is English such an important international lang

Millions of people every year move to English-speaking countries such as Australia, Britain or America, in order to study at school, college or university. Why do so many people want to study in English? Why is English such an important international language?

Nowadays, more and more people are travelling to English-speaking countries to continue their education. Undoubtedly, if a person wants to make a career, he has to be fluent in English. Of course, England, Britain, America, Canada and Australia are the most desirable destinations. It is clear, that the fastest way of learning another tongue is to be in the language environment. Otherwise, no matter how many books you have read, you might still not be able to communicate because of the lack of practice.

As for me, I lived in London for two years. When I just got there, I was extremely disappointed, because I could hardly understand their speech, despite having studied the language at the university before. Watching original films and TV programs, communicating with people, listening to their music, I noticed how my skills improved every day.

English has become a global tool of communication. 80% of all e-mails, most publications and music are in English. The Olympic Games ceremonies, The UN meetings, the numerous International Awards - all of them are held in the same language. You cannot be a good professional if you do not know English. Moreover, while travelling, you feel quite confident, no matter what the situation might be.

Scientists worry that many local languages are disappearing because of the tough grasp of English. That is why Governments take certain measures to protect their local tongues. People speak less in their mother tongue at home, they do not teach it their children, hence they might completely forget it in a few decades.

Overall, a well-educated person must know a foreign language to succeed in life. This is the main reason why thousands of people move to English-speaking countries. I think, this tendency is going to increase in future, as well.

Watching original films and TV programs, communicating with people, listening to their music, I noticed how my skills improved every day.
By watching original films and TV programs, communicating with people, listening to their music, I noticed how my skills improved every day.

You only write some simple sentences like:
'People speak less in their mother tongue at home, they do not teach it their children, hence they might completely forget it in a few decades.'

More compound or complex sentences wanted.