Nowadays traffic jams are becoming a big problem in most cities and bigger towns. Some people suggest that widening of roads is a solution to this problem. Do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion and suggest a solution to this problem.

Since the rapid development in the vehicle manufacturing industry, the rate at which the number of vehicles increasing is unprecedentedly high. As a result, traffic congestion has become a social concern in many cities. In order to solve the traffic problems, some people suggest to widen roads so as this will increase its traffic volume capacity. In my opinion, road widening projects are viable to slow down the increasing traffic congestion level. However, there is still a wide range of alternatives to solve the traffic issues.

There is no doubt that the increasing traffic volume accounts for the main contributor to current traffic problems. Road widening projects would be the one which is a direct and effective solution to meet the demands for larger traffic volume capacity. This is particularly viable for some medium cities, where the local traffic volume is not as high as big cities like New York. Therefore, widening of roads is a feasible way to temporarily resolve the traffic problems.

However, in order to solve the traffic issues in the long run, there are the alternatives that could be practices should be introduced beside the road widening projects. It is advisable that government should increase the incentive to public transport use by reducing the cost of using public transport. In addition, a carbon tax can be imposed on drivers to raise their awareness of global warming caused by overuse of vehicles.

In conclusion, undoubtedly, widening roads is one of the effective methods to tackle the current long-standing traffic problems. Nevertheless, governments and public transport departments should have an obligation to promote and advocate the use of public transport by either making the public transport more affordable and accessible or increasing the price of using private vehicles. What is more, the economical means should work alongside with the road widening project to thoroughly solve the traffic issues.

there are the alternatives that could be practices should be introduced beside the road widening projects

In the third paragraph, need to talk about the limitations of the road widening projects. if not, the third and fourth paragraphs are duplicated.