Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages

Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

It has become a popular trend that children are forced to learn a foreign language at younger ages and some experts advocate that learning a second language at primary school brings more benefits than at secondary school, which constitutes a source of constant debate among parents. This essay will elaborate on both advantages and disadvantages and compare them in the end.

In terms of merits of learning a foreign language at primary school, it is worth mentioning that it is easier for a child to get the hang of a second language in his or her earlier years. At the primary school, pupils do not have heavy school tasks to deal with and they can spare more time on language learning, which boost their efficiency of grasping a foreign language, while at secondary school, students are burdened with numerous disciplines, such as physics and biology, so they tend to distract their attentions form language study. Also, it is common language that children at primary school are not deeply affected by their mother language and culture, since they just have a little knowledge of this world and their surroundings. In addition, children are known for acquiring an excellent language ability at this stage in their lives. Thus, it is the best time to shape their outlooks and develop their language ability.

On the negative side, some pupils at primary school may get confused by learning both native language and foreign language. They may not sure whether some words are used properly in native language or second language and they may mix both two languages in their formal speaking and writing, which may result in criticism from other people. Consequently, they often cannot learn both languages well. Furthermore, learning a foreign language at such a small age may, to some extent, reduce their culture identity which is often related to language study.

According to the above analyses, the advantages of learning a second language at primary school outweigh its negative sides. Children are gifted with an outstanding language ability in their early years, so they should make optimal use of their talents at the primary schools. Although, sometimes they may be confronted with confusions or difficulties in the process of learning, if guided well from teachers and parents, they can avoid adverse effects on themselves.