Some people think that a sense of competition in children should be encouraged. Others believe that children who are taught to co-operate rather than compete become more useful adults.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

There are people who argue that competition among young students should be prompted, while others believe that helping each other would bring a better result. In this essay, I am going to delve into the question from both points of views through presenting their merits and demerits, and then give my own perspective on the matter.

On one side of the argument, people contend that competition is crucial for children. I believe that competition may contribute to improving children’s versatile-development. With the sense of achievement driven by hard-working and beating other students with superior results in the tests, children would be more motivating and studying hard. With the skills and knowledge gained though such competitions will play a crucial role in later life. For example, those who achieved higher grades will be most likely to succeed in getting into a prestigious university and in turn will be recruited by major corporations such as Samsung or Apple. However, those who got relatively low grades may end up losing their self-esteem and confidence.

On the other hand, children who are exposed to learning co-operation may also become good adults. Co-operation would develop children’s ability to team work. If one student is weak in English subject but strong at mathematic, while his peer is vice versa. They can help each other by learning from one another. In this way, they will know how to cope each other and when they become adults they will be able to use the team-work skills in their workplace. Although co-operation would result in such ability, children might lose their interest in learning school subjects as there is no stimulating motivation to do so.

In conclusion, competition contributes to children’s all-round development, whereas co-operation improves their sense of team-work. In my point of view, however, I tend to believe that encouraging competition among children is more efficient as they are more likely to become competent and successful in getting a job at a large company.

With the skills and knowledge gained though such competitions will play a crucial role in later life.
With the skills and knowledge gained though such competitions it will play a crucial role in later life.