Today, high sales for popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Ever since the advent of modern technology, advertisements have been playing a considerable role in the selling of a product. Some of the most popular products being sold these days are mainly because of strong advertising and not because of individual needs. I however, partially agree with this popular belief. Its not only advertising, that leads to product sales, but also some degree of necessity that leads to it.

People these days buy stuff for pleasure, without any need. This is true to some extent in most if the cases. For instance, the heavy sale of a particular brand in the last few months is unarguably due to their strong advertisement campaigns. Even the low end mobile phone which may have similar functions at a more economic price could have catered to their needs. But most of the population preferred buying a more expensive model just because of fancy advertising techniques and a sense of achievement associated with it.

Also the main target audience for buying products that are irrelevant and unnecessary, are kids and children whose minds are still immature. They see some famous personality endorsing a brand and hence force their parents to buy it for them. Having said that, I also believe that there is always some amount of need associated with the purchase of a particular product. It is said that necessity is the mother of invention. So it would not be incorrect to say that people buy most of the products, if not all, whenever the need arises. Which brand of product to buy, however, depends on the power of advertising.

To sum it up, I believe that many products are bought out of necessity. Only some are bought out of luxury and advertisement campaigns.

Its not only advertising, that leads to product sales, but also some degree of necessity that leads to it.
Description: 'Not only...but also' is not used properly. can you re-write this sentence?