Zoos are sometimes seen as necessary but not poor alternatives to natural environment. Discuss some arguments for and /or against keeping animals in zoo.

Essay topics: Zoos are sometimes seen as necessary but not poor alternatives to natural environment. Discuss some arguments for and /or against keeping animals in zoo.

kaswan's picture

What if someone is locked in the room, everyday?. The room is very isolated. Moreover, he cannot go everywhere and anywhere. Of course, this can make him crazy or stressful. It also happens in animals. They are alive too. In Surabaya, Indonesia, many animals dead one by one. Carryout from the research of The Indonesian Zoo Department , mostly, this is because, the animals live in small cage. Usually, the cage is filled by two animals and the floor is made by concrete. This means, that there are few animals in the same place and live in unnatural environment. This can make those become depressed, moreover if those in the same sex. So, why do I have to agree with this animal hell?

Furthermore, in zoo, animals often get the monotonous food every day. This will be different if those are in forest. Those will get fresh meat and grass in many variations. Indonesian zoo visitors are the worst people ever in the zoo land. They often throw unhealthy food to the mammal’s cage such as, monkey. The most insane activity was when the zoo’s visitors, in Yogyakarta Zoo, threw cigarettes to Orangutan’s cage. This had happened for years, then many Orangutans affected complex diseases such as lung cancer. They should bring back animals to forest, if they cannot care those. But, why do the government still support wildlife park?

Maybe, the answer for question above is illegal hunting. In Sumatera, Indonesia, almost 20 phytons are caught by hunters per day. They remove phytons’ skin and export it to Europe for bags’ industry. According of Indonesian forest Department, there are two hundred species that are threatened by wild hunters in the forest. Another example is elephant. Sumatra as the best places for elephant is changing to be the most dangerous place for this biggest mammal. Truthfully, they hunt Elephant’s tusk, but they kill elephant also. How threatening forests are for animals, nowadays.

Therefore, conservation can be the another alternative for animal’s life. Conservation is the second name for forest zoo. Animals need human’s care, today-forest police. By conservation place, rare species will be save. For example, Komodo Island, in Indonesia is one of the best conservation places in the world. This is located in isolated island. So, it will be difficult to the hunters to catch komodo.

For the last, I know the good purpose in safe animals. Unfortunately, many zoos are not proper to be animal’s home. So, I do not agree in using zoo for animals’ living place. We have to provide more conservation places for keeping animals from many unsafe things.