Today the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold.To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Today the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?

In this 21st century, there are massive number of advertisements in our surrounding. It raised the question about whether high sales of products are more determined by the power of advertising than consumers’ need. To my way of thinking, I personally agree that the advertising could change people’s mind to buy a product which might not really needs.

As most people know that advertisement is a media for introducing company products to society. A Company needs to tell consumers about their products which have more consider than other competitors. Not only that, but also consumers need to know about the detail of products which might help them to choose. Printer advertisements; for example, Epson company tell global customers that they are specialize in photo prints; in contrast, canon company claim that they are the answer of office need which could print a hundred papers in ten seconds. Hence, people will be understand about benefits and drawbacks of any product before they buy it.

Apart from those reasons, we could not ignore that the global trends today are influenced by advertising. The high competition market encourages many companies to pay high amount to make attractive ads such as using glamorous celebrities, while young people are easily tempting when they are interesting to any public figures or hobbies. Pepsi; for instance, they spend a lot of money to some popular football players as the model of their soft drink products which are successful to lure huge customers in the first launching. This is also supported by the recent study that plenty of their customers are not feel thirsty when they bought this products and others did not know why they bought pepsi drink. That is to say that advertising is the powerful tool to manipulate people’s desire.

In a word, it seems to me that advertising plays pivotal role towards high consumption of people today.

they are specialize in photo prints
they are specialized in photo prints

customers are not feel thirsty
customers are not feeling thirsty

Need some content for the disadvantages of advertising: 'not the real needs of the society in which they are sold.'

----------------------