Annual reports highlight government achievements in strengthening our borders

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 10/17/2014 - 19:33

Friday, 17 October 2014

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS) annual reports released today highlight the continued dividends of the Coalition's strong and successful border protection policies, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison said today.

'The Government's border protection policies are stopping the boats, saving taxpayers billions while enabling reinvestment into both the DIBP and ACBPS so they can focus on their core business,' Minister Morrison said.

'These successful policies, opposed by Labor and the Greens, are freeing up resources to be reinvested back into our agencies and achieving results in greater compliance, improved integrity and stronger enforcement.

'Savings to the budget of $2.5 billion have not only assisted taxpayers they have also enabled the reinvestment of $700 million into our border agencies with the creation of the Australian Border Force.

'We have also invested $88 million in additional funding for the ACBPS to allow increased screening of cargo into the country and a further $150 million to implement stronger counter terrorism initiatives on our borders.

'Last financial year border protection officers prevented around four tonnes of drugs and precursors from reaching Australia's streets, while continuing to work closely with state and federal law enforcement partners.

'There were more than 35 million movements across Australia's border in 2013-14 and it is a credit to both DIBP and ACBPS that this has been managed in such a professional manner.

'The challenges ahead for our border authorities through increased movement of persons and goods in and out of our country mean we need to ensure we are well equipped to face both future threats and to take full advantage of economic opportunities.

'That is why it is important the government continues to invest in the Australian Border Force (ABF) which comes into effect from 1 July 2015,' Minister Morrison said.

'Other main outcomes from the annual reports included:

'The achievements of both agencies put them in good stead ahead of the consolidation and creation of the ABF in 2015.

'The Coalition Government has brought the focus on border protection back to where it should be – at the centre of government priorities and is backing this up with increased resources and funding our agencies need to protect us and assist in the creation of economic opportunities for all Australians,' Minister Morrison said.

The DIBP Annual Report is available at http://www.immi.gov.au/about/reports/annual/2013-14/versions.htm and the ACBPS Annual Report is available at http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4283.asp.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm218591.htm
Last update: Friday, 17 October 2014 at 15:29 AEST