Death of transferee

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 09/05/2014 - 16:04

Friday, 05 September 2014

I have been advised that an adult male transferee who had been accommodated at the Manus Offshore Processing Centre (OPC) sadly passed away this evening while being treated at a Brisbane hospital.

The man's family late this afternoon provided consent for the withdrawal of his life support.

An Imam was present at the time of death and the Government of Iran will be informed.

I am very saddened by this man's passing and on behalf of the Australian Government I extend our deepest sympathy to the man's family and friends. My department has and will continue to provide support to the family and has been in contact with family members during the course of the man's treatment.

Name and age details of the man will only be released subject to the agreement of the family.

The Iranian man was transferred to Australia from Port Moresby on August 27 following medical advice regarding his deteriorating health.

The Queensland coroner will be advised of the death and my department will cooperate fully.

I can advise that the department's Chief Medical Officer is conducting an in-depth clinical review on the background to the transferee's medical condition and care while at Manus OPC.

This will be in addition to any medical review that will also be undertaken by the medical services provider, International Health and Medical Services, conducted as part of their normal clinical governance arrangements.

I will await the outcomes of this report before making any further comment on the medical treatment provided in this case. However, I note the criticisms that have been made to date are not based on any primary knowledge of the event or the circumstances in this case. Such prejudicial commentary is unhelpful and unfortunate.

I have instructed the Department to make the necessary arrangements to facilitate the repatriation of the body of the deceased man to his family in Iran should this be requested.

The Department will consider what additional appropriate assistance it can reasonably provide to the family, should this be required.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm217647.htm
Last update: Friday, 05 September 2014 at 21:32 AEST

Article references
www.minister.immi.gov.au