It is more important to choose friends that you have fun with than friends who will help you when you need them

It is more important to choose friends that you have fun with than friends who will help you when you need them.

People often possess different perspectives when it comes to whether we should choose friends to have fun with or friends who can offer help. Based on my personal experience and observation of life, I disagree with the statement that it is more important to have friends to have fun with than to have friends who will help us when in need.

First of all, friends that offer help often own certain precious virtues. And these virtuous friends can have positive influence on us while we befriend them. For example, helping a friend in need certainly indicates loyalty, trustworthiness, and altruism. Also, they may as well be self-controlled and frugal to maintain their well-being, since they are capable of helping others. These characteristics are beneficial to ourselves.

Secondly, as an old Chinese saying goes, “We count on parents at home, and on friends when we travel,” there are always times when we need help from friends. Having friends who are willing to help would make us feel assured. For example, once when I went to a restaurant without having my wallet with me, I called my friend and he immediately came and helped me pay the bill. If I didn’t have a friend that could help me at that moment, I would surely have been in trouble.

Finally, even though some might contend that focusing on friends that can offer help instead of friends that we can have fun with will make our lives dull and boring, this is actually not true. Furthermore, friends that offer help are trustworthy, and with these trustworthy friends, we can share our happiness and sorrow of life. For instance, when we are faced with difficulties, we can always turn to these friends for comfort. On the other hand, friends to have fun with usually are incapable or reluctant to bear those feelings with us.

In conclusion, friends that offer help are more virtuous, more countable, and more capable of sharing those highs and lows of our lives. Therefore, I consider it more important to have friends that can help us when we need them.