Should governments spend more money on improving roads and highways, or should governments spend more money on improving public transportation (buses, trains, subways)? Why? Use specific reasons and details to develop your essay.

The discourse whether government spend money on improving roads and highways or on public transportation is contentious one because there are several reasons to be taken care of. But after pondering few minutes on the topic, I prefer to explain few points to bolster the fact that government's decision to develop public transportation is a good choice.

To start with, rapid increase in number of private transportation exacerbate environment pollution by emitting more greenhouse gases like carbon-mono-oxide, sulpher-di-oxide. During the pick hours pollution level in the air reaches its maximum causing respiratory trouble in elder people, even now-a-days children are also affected by this. It is hard to believe that we are living in such an environment inhaling air filled with sulpher and gasoline, throat choked with oxides of nitrogen. Moreover, environment has limited resources, so for future generation we have to curtail indiscriminate usage of these. So, amelioration in public transports may decrease the number of private ones resulting the decrease in emergence of pollutants into air and preserve natural resources.

Moreover, due to excessive number of cars on roads, traffic jams become daily nuisance of our lives. These not only cost valuable time of us but also make working people annoyed and infuriated and this bad mood declines the efficacy of a worker which in long run sets a negative impact in whole economy. So, alleviation in public transportation may diminish the number of cars on road and may avert frequent traffic jams.

Lastly, there are not only affluent families in a country, there are poor ones also. So, improvement in public transportation helps them to travel with minimum cost. Furthermore, when people use private cars to go to work place or somewhere, they become isolated from others. But, in a public cars people come across with different kinds of persons and can share their cultures and beliefs and this helps to strengthen national harmony.

In conclusion, if government spend money on public transportation, then it not only protect the environmental resources and saves valuable time but also government only has to take care of maintenance charges so that the rest of money can be used in social upliftment.

is contentious one
is a contentious one

rapid increase in number of private transportation exacerbate environment pollution
rapid increase in number of private transportation exacerbates environment pollution

if government spend money
if governments spend money

then it not only protect the environmental resources and saves valuable time but also government only has to
Description: Not only...but also is not used properly. can you re-write this sentence?

Sentence: It is hard to believe that we are living in such an environment inhaling air filled with sulpher and gasoline, throat choked with oxides of nitrogen.
Error: sulpher Suggestion: No alternate word

Sentence: In conclusion, if government spend money on public transportation, then it not only protect the environmental resources and saves valuable time but also government only has to take care of maintenance charges so that the rest of money can be used in social upliftment.
Error: upliftment Suggestion: No alternate word

Don't use 'not only...but also...' a lot of times in one essay. One time is enough.