Some people think governments should spend as much money as possible exploring outer space (for example, traveling to the Moon and to other planets). Other people disagree and think governments should spend this money for our basic needs on Earth. Which

Some people think governments should spend as much money as possible exploring outer space (for example, traveling to the Moon and to other planets). Other people disagree and think governments should spend this money for our basic needs on Earth. Which of these two opinions do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

The annual budget of a government is limited and its allocation should follow criteria of priority in terms of urgency. Those who claim that as many funds as possible should be spent for exploring outer space are being unscrupulous when poverty, famine and diseases still persist on Earth. Thus, I disagree with them because the citizens welfare is more pressing.

To begin with, governments should eradicate poverty by creating employment in times of crisis like the one we are still facing in which many unemployed lost their houses because they had no incomes to pay the mortgage. In order to avoid entire families becoming beggars, subsidies must be given out to them and to businesses as incentives to hire unemployed people.

In addition, human beings are solitary so should be their governments that have to ameliorate the situation in places such as Africa where thousands of children die every year due to starvation. Therefore, part of the budget should devote on food supplies in these places to save lives verging on death.

Moreover, there are some illnesses that affect us at a global level and no definitive cure has been discovered yet which is the case of cancer; governments ought to set aside part of the coffers to impulse research in this medical area so as to find out a solution that can prolong people's life expectancy.

In short, though exploring outer space might be beneficial in that it could offer an alternative place for future generations to live if such a place exists, current problems mentioned above on our planet should occupy the biggest part of the government's budget since they require immediate attention.

-----------------------