TPO-01 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?At universities and colleges, sports and social activities are just as important as classes and libraries and should receive equal financial support.Use specific reaso

The lecture refutes the points made in favour of dinosaurs being endotherms. The points of rebuttal for dinosaurs being endotherms are mentioned below.

First, the passage states that, as dead remains of dinosaurs were found in the polar region, it suggested that the dinosaurs were endotherms because only endotherms could survive in such harsh and cold weather. However, as per the lecture it is stated that, the bones were found during the warmer times. In addition, during the cold winters, the dinosaurs migrated to warmer places or in fact had hibernated in order to combat the cold.

Second, it is mentioned that only endotherms have legs under the body. Hence, since the dinosaurs were having their legs under the body, thus it suggested that the dinosaurs were endotherms. On the contrary, as per the lecture having legs below the body was due to the fact that it helped dinosaurs balance their weight more effectively and not because they were endotherms. Hence, due to the large size of dinosaurs they were forced to have their legs below the body.

Third, the presence of haversian canal is exclusive to endotherms only. The lecture acknowledges this fact but also rebuts it because, on careful examination of bones, it has been revealed that the dinosaurs had growth rings. The presence of growth rings suggested that dinosaurs had period of rapid growth followed by slow or no growth and then again period of rapid growth. Thus, the presence of growth rings suggested that the dinosaurs did not have a uniform growth rate which is very much exclusive to pure endotherms.