Home >> .

TPO-05 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?People today spend too much time on personal enjoyment-doing things they like to do-rather than doing things they should do.Use specific reasons and examples to suppo

-vv-'s picture

Without a question, some people would argue that today they spend extra time on personnal enjoyment, rahter than taking care of their obligation; other may consider the oppoiste point of view. As far as I am concern, I firmly desagree with the statement.

First of all, you clearly need time, free time, to spend hours on personal enjoyment over things you should do. However, the today demand for a higher life style, consume most of our time looking for the higher income that would satify that demand. For example, more often we find people getting extra hours or an extra half time job to increase their income. What time left could have a person with doble shift in her or his life?

Secondly, technology is taking control of our life in every level and it is playing a role consuming our free time. For example, laptop, smartphones, wifi in more and more public places, are making it more difficult to give a real cut from our job after the workday finish. In fact, our bosses, or even us as an employee, have the temptation to fix or finish what still pending for the next day. For instance, it is very common to see people having dinner in a restuarant without really enjoying the moment because they are looking all the time at their smartphones over the table or even texting.

Finally, reinforcing the idea why people do not spend too much time on personal enjoyment because of the lack of time, I would point out the amount of hour usually spent in transportation or driving to the working places. Undoubtely, urban areas are cheaper places to live, but most of the job places are concentrated in downtown cities. Despite, some music from the radio a driver could enjoy while driving in a highway, no more time is left for other personal enjoyment.

All in all, with more demand for better incomes, hours of extra work, hours connected to our work by the new technologies and the time spend in transportation, I am challenging the statement proposed above where people today spend too much time on personal enjoyment.