Historically, schools in the United States have borrowed the European system of school organization, a system that separates students into grades by chronological age. In general, children begin formal schooling at the age of six in what is referred

Historically, schools in the United States have borrowed the European system of school organization, a system that separates students into grades by chronological age. In general, children begin formal schooling at the age of six in what is referred as the first grade. For the most part, students progress through twelve grades; however, some students who do not meet the minimum requirements for a particular grade may be asked to repeat the year.

Graded schools are divided into primary grades, intermediate grades and secondary grades. Primary education includes grades 1 through 5 or 6 and may also provide kindergarten as a preparation for first grade. Referred to as elementary school, these grades are usually taught by one teacher in a self contained classroom. Intermediate grades begin with grade 6 or 7 and offer three years of instruction. At this level, teams of teachers may collaborate to provide subject-based classes similar to those offered in high school. Viewed as a preparation for high school, intermediate education is known as junior high school. At grade 9 or 10, secondary begins. Classes taught by subjects specialists usually last about fifty minutes to allow a student ten minutes to move to the next class before it begins at the top of the hour. At the end of twelve successful grades of instruction, students are eligible for a secondary school diploma, more commonly called a high school diploma.

Essay topics in audio

The author explains the whole grad school system according to the chronological age of students. The author, in contrast, explains the negative impacts of grad school system on the students.

The author classifies the grad school system according to the age of student in three grades. First is primary grade or elementary grade which includes grades 1 to 5 or 6 including kindergarten, generally taught by one teacher. Intermediate grades consist of grade 6 or 7 in which different subjects are taught by the different teaches. Also in grade 9 or 10 known as secondary grade, subjects are taught by subject specialists in specific class of each subject for fifty minutes. Finally, the students become eligible for admission in secondary school diploma also known as high school diploma.

The speaker explains the negative effect of grad school system. First of all, it does not consider the differences in between individual learner, because it might be possible that some students are not socially or mentally matured for school at age of 4 or 5 year. Secondly, if the student's performance has not reached the minimum requirement, then he will have to study again which will make him bored. Furthermore, grad school system concentrates on group performance, not on individual's performance or achievements. That is why the bright students have to wait for fresh material for study whereas the slow learner can not be in rhythm with the trend. Clearly, according to the author, the grad system must be reviewed.

Better to use this pattern:

para 1: introduction
para 2: doubt 1
para 3: doubt 2
para 4: doubt 3

Read sample essays from ETS:
http://www.testbig.com/users/toeflwritingmaster

---------------------------------------------------------