Integrated writing task 1 TPO 34

Integrated writing task 1 TPO 34

The author states that Steller's sea cows became extinct because of one of three theories. On the contrary, the professor opposes all the three theories by stating that they are unconvincing.

First, the reading states that sea cows became extinct because of the aggressive hunt by native siberian. On the other hand, the professor opposes this point by saying that these creatures are huge in size. Their length reachs up to 9 meters and their weight reachs up to 10 tons. So they can eat small Siberian village, and that is why people can not hunt them. Even if they hunt some sea cows, they cannot hunt a large number that may cause extinction of these animals.

Second, the author explains that the extinction may have been caused by changes in ecological system that led to decline in kelpt which is the main source of food for sea cows. In contrast, the professor refutes this point by telling us that if there was disturbance of ecological system affected on kelpt, it would affect on other creatures in the marine life like on whale. But nothing has been reported about such dirturbance. Therefore, the population of kelpt kept unaffected and sea cow did not suffer from the decline of kelpt.

Finally, the article posits that European traders hunted the last sea cow in 1768 and that might be the cause of extinction. The professor, however, explains that European traders came after the extinction of the sea cows. When those traders reached to the island, cow seas' population was already in decline. There was a continuous decrease in the number of sea cows. Consequently, European traders did not cause the extinction