A menhaden, also known as a mossbunker, bunker, and pogy, is any forage fish of the genera Brevoortia and Ethmidum of the family Clupeidae. Gulf menhaden and Atlantic menhaden are small oily-fleshed fish characterized by their bright silver color and a se

A menhaden, also known as a mossbunker, bunker, and pogy, is any forage fish of the genera Brevoortia and Ethmidum of the family Clupeidae. Gulf menhaden and Atlantic menhaden are small oily-fleshed fish characterized by their bright silver color and a series of smaller spots behind the humeral spot. They are flat with soft flesh and a deeply forked tail, and they grow to a maximum of 15 inches long. According to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, the stock of menhaden is not considered overfished currently, there have been 32 instances of overfishing in the past 54 years. Paul Greenburg, author of Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food, has called for a fishing ban for menhaden in US federal waters and the Chesapeake bay due to the detrimental effects overfishing is having on the population, and in turn the menhaden's predator populations and the water quality. However a fishing ban is not the best course of action.

One factor that could be resulting in the reduced population of menhaden is the large population of striped bass. They are a culprit in the decline of the menhaden population because as their population grows they eat more fish including menhaden. This type of culprit would not be effected by placing restrictions on menhaden fishing.

Also, because menhaden are a food source for all animals, the prohibition of fishing menhaden would break a supply chain. Therefore by trying to protect menhaden through prohibition of fishing it is really hurting the food supply for others.

Finally, if the government were to issue these harsh fishing restrictions, a lot of people would become unemployed. Those who depend on fishing menhaden for a living would not be able to maintain their livelihood if they are no longer able to fish for them.

The article states that the fishing ban is not the best action to increase the population of the menhaden fish and provides three reasons of support. However, the lecturer explains that there is a different conclusion reached out after reviewing the information and refutes each of the Author's reasons.

First, the reading asserts that There are a large population of striped bass which is the main predator for the menhaden fish and that what cause its depletion not the fishing one. The professor explains that it is true that the striped bass is the main predator, but if there is no fishing allowed, the nature will keep the balance and the population of the menhaden will increase gradually.

Second, the article posits that this fish is a food source of all animals and by prohibition of fishing it, this will hurting the food supply for others. The professor opposes this point by saying that there is other source of food for all other animals.

Third, the reading claims that there are a lot of people will be unemployed after this restriction. However, the professor contends that it is true, but it will be a temporary action and they will return fishing but with restriction or fishing a different type rather than menhaden fish.

there is other source of food for all other animals.
there are other sources of food for all other animals.

there are a lot of people will be unemployed
there are a lot of people who will be unemployed

but it will be a temporary action and they will return fishing but with restriction
but it will be a temporary action and they will return fishing with restriction

Read sample essays from ETS:
http://www.testbig.com/users/toeflwritingmaster