TOEFL Official Guide - Practice Test 2 - Integrated Writing - Professors on TV

Ths listening claims that the idea of professors appearing on televisons is of not much benefit to the universities, public, and professors themselves. This claim is not in agreement with that of the reading passage, which suggest that televison appearances are of immense benefit to the professors as well as universities and the general public.

According to the lecture, the professor who is regular to television is not treated seriously by his fellow professors, rather, he or she is considered as a mere entertainer, who is not inclined to impart education. As a result, that professor is not invited to important meetings and conferences, and he also denied the money granted by university for research. Therefore, the professor does not benefit by appearing on televsion. The passage, by contrast, suggest that by appearing on televison academic authority of the professor is further strengthened to a wider audience (outside the academic community), which enhances the importance of professor and ultimately benefits him.

The second point of difference between lecture and passage concerns benefit to university. The lecture asserts that the time that the professor devotes on television, travelling to TV studios, preparing for his TV shows and dressing could be utilized better by professor by indulging in research, or with students or engaging in some university business, which would benefit the university. On the other hand, the reading says that positive publicity gained from televison appearances leads to an increased reputation of university among people, which eventually results in more applications and increased donations, hence helping the university.

Finally, the lecture argues that televison is not concerned with academic and intellectual knowledge of the professor, rather, it requires only the academic title to satisfy its requirements. A professor indulging in brief historical reporting or with a new movie does no benefit to the public as any ordinary person with little homework would have also satisfied the requirements of the TV company, hence role of professor is limited. However, the article contends that people gain from these TV appearances as common viewers have no contact with these intellectual people and it gives them a medium to learn from experts and gain their insight.

Sentence: Ths listening claims that the idea of professors appearing on televisons is of not much benefit to the universities, public, and professors themselves.
Description: The token of is not usually followed by a negator
Suggestion: Refer to of and not

the reading passage, which suggest that
the reading passage, which suggests that

hence role of professor is limited
hence the role of professor is limited

people gain from these TV appearances as common viewers have no contact
people gained from these TV appearances as common viewers have no contact

Error: televisons Suggestion: televisions

Sentence: This claim is not in agreement with that of the reading passage, which suggest that televison appearances are of immense benefit to the professors as well as universities and the general public.
Error: televison Suggestion: television

Sentence: Therefore, the professor does not benefit by appearing on televsion.
Error: televsion Suggestion: television

Sentence: The passage, by contrast, suggest that by appearing on televison academic authority of the professor is further strengthened to a wider audience outside the academic community, which enhances the importance of professor and ultimately benefits him.
Error: televison Suggestion: television

Sentence: On the other hand, the reading says that positive publicity gained from televison appearances leads to an increased reputation of university among people, which eventually results in more applications and increased donations, hence helping the university.
Error: televison Suggestion: television

Sentence: Finally, the lecture argues that televison is not concerned with academic and intellectual knowledge of the professor, rather, it requires only the academic title to satisfy its requirements.
Error: televison Suggestion: television

Write the essay in 20 minutes.