TOEFL Sample essay : integrated essay from TPO 10

In this set of materials, the reading passage claims that sea otters’ population in western coast of North America has been started declining because of environmental pollution rather than predator attacks and provides three reasons to support this. However, the lecturer finds all the ideas dubious and presents some evidence to show that predation is the most likely reason for declining number of sea otters.

The first reason that the author of the passage mentions is that there are contaminating sources and industries along the Alaskan coast that pose harmful infections to the otters' resistance. On the contrary, the professor states that the pollution is not the likely reason to decreasing sea otters since any dead sea otter has not been found at the coasts. If the pollution is the main reason to declining population of sea otters, the number of predators should have been decreased as well.

The next reason uttered in the passage is that the number of other sea mammals has decreased since a general reason like environmental pollution can affect the entire ecosystem. In contrast, the lecturer explains that the decrease in the number of sea otters in Alaskan coast is because human is hunting large predatory whales - an important prey for orcas - so that orcas have to change their diet to smaller sea mammals, like sea otters, seals, and sea lions. In this regard, the number of sea otters has decreased as a result of predation.

Finally, the reading passage asserts that the reduction in sea otters' populations is uneven along the coast due to the uneven ocean currents and consequently erratic concentrations of pollutants along the coast. Conversely, the speaker draws attention to the accessible areas for orcas that are deeper places. As orcas are large animals, they cannot come and hunt in shallow and rocky areas, and the research indicates that the shallow and rocky areas are where the number of the otters has not declined.

for declining number of sea otters.
for declining the number of sea otters.

reason to decreasing sea otters
reason to decrease sea otters

main reason to declining population of sea otters
main reason to decline the population of sea otters

that are deeper places.
that are in deeper places.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.

----------------------