TPO 3

TPO 3

The reading specifies that there are three reasons to doubt some paintings is painted by Rembrandt who was a famous Dutch painter. However, the professor explains that although the reasons are true, the painting still belongs to Rembrandt and presents some evidence to refute them all.

First of all, the reading asserts that the woman painting has an inconsistent problem which cannot be done by Rembrandt since he was a detailed artist. The woman in the painting wearing a luxurious fur collar that no servant could afford it. Nevertheless, the woman specifies that the painting is not inconsistent. The x-ray examination of the painting shows that the fur collar has been added to the painting to increase its value.

Second, according to the reading, the elements of light and shadow do not fit together in this painting and this error shows that it does not belong to the renowned Dutch artist. On the contrary, the lecturer contradicts the idea reasoning that the light and shadow are match since the dark fur collar mainly reflects the light. In this way, the face of the woman should be partially in shadows to be realistic. Therefore, there is no error in the painting.

Third, based on the reading, Rembrandt does not use a panel that glued several pieces of wood together. In contrast, the speaker cast doubts on this point by saying that, more woods were used to expand the size of the panel. Moreover, the wood that was used in the panel of the woman's painting was compared with another painting of Rembrandt (Self-portrait with hat) and the result presents that wood used in the panel are the same as each other and exploited from the same tree.