tpo5

tpo5

Both passages refer to the settlements of Chaco Canyon, which were formidable stone buildings. The reading trying to determine the use of those buildings, state three possible explanations, while the listening contradicts them.

As referred in the reading, those buildings might be residential. The architecture of those buildings supports this view. However, the lecturer states that the internal space of the buildings cast doubt in this belief, because despite the fact that more than 100 families could have lived there, people have found fire places that could supply only 10 families. Therefore, this argument is invalid.

Secondly, according to the reading those settlements can be used to store food supplies of grain maize. The aural passage also cast doubts in this theory, supporting that excavations that have been conducted, did not find any maize or maize material.

Finally, the passage states that due to the large numbers of pots that have been found by some archeologists in an adjacent area, this indicates that they might be used for ceremonies. On the other hand, the lecturer supports that except for pots many other construction materials irrelevant with their rites have also been found, thus they are stuff that was thrown away and not relics.

The reading trying to determine the use of those buildings, state three possible explanations
The reading ... states three possible explanations