News Item 3

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News Item 3:

1. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The main cause for the increase in GNP was _____________.

a. that car sales increased b. that truck sales increased c. that car sales decreased d. that truck sales decreased
(2) Analysts warned of ____________. a. a possible strong demand in the next three months b. a possible strong demand in the next two quarters c. a possible weak demand in the next three months d. a possible weak demand in the next two quarters
(3) Analysts came to such a conclusion because ______________. a. consumers had purchased too many cars in the last quarter b. consumers had spent more than expected in the last quarter c. there would be a nationwide cut in salaries and wages d. there would be an economic depression

2. Focusing on Details. Provide the significance for each of the following figures.
(1) 2.4%:
(2) $ 42 billion:
(3) $ 3.5 trillion:

Listening answers

News Item 3:

(1) 2.4%:
(2) $ 42 billion:
(3) $ 3.5 trillion: