Special Report

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

Special Report

1. Identification. Match the people in Column I with their positions in Column II and their relevant events in Column III.
Column I                        Column II                                    Column III
(1) Van Sauter               a. Chief Executive Officer         i. Being ousted
(2) Thomas Wyman     b. CBS founder                          ii. Becoming new chairman
(3) Laurence Tisch      c. President of CBS news        iii. Having replaced the last CEO
(4) William Paley         d. Leading stockholder             iv. Having resigned

Answer: (1) —

; (2) —

; (3) —

; (4) —

.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
Thomas Wyman decided to cancel the normal monthly Board meeting because he was afraid of any new moves in the CBS shake-up.
(2)
Although Wyman cancelled the meeting, the Board met anyway and the meeting was held till quite late.
(3)
The polarized battle was between Laurence Tisch and Thomas Wyman on one side and William Paley and some Board members on the other.
(4)
Part of Wyman's intention which he expressed implicitly in his budget plan presentation was that he and those aligned with him tried to sell the company.
(5)
Thomas Wyman tried to delay Laurence Tisch and William Paley stepping into office.
(6)
The Board reached an unanimous judgment when the three principle men in the battle were not present.
(7)
Laurence Tisch just came rolling into the Board meeting and took over the company.
(8)
The Board's dissatisfaction with Thomas Wyman started long age and the final decision was made late last week.
(9)
If Thomas Wyman remained in power, there would have been continued battles in the press.

3. Complete the list of the sources of CBS's trouble.
(1) Problems common to the television industry:
    a. Revenues used to grow at the rate of
,
,
percent a year; now revenues are
.
    b.
are finding other outlets.
    c. There is new
from the
network.
(2) Mismanagement of CBS:
    a. Wyman was a
, but not a
.
    b. Those talented egos in
require
, but Thomas Wyman is not
.
    c. He was a
kind of manager.

4. Focusing on Details. Fill in the detailed information according to what you have heard.
(1) "The CBS
, as you mention, have been
, and they're probably
, but specifically, what were they
? How have they been mismanaged?"
(2) "I think there are probably
different stories. One story that's received
in the last week is Bill Moyer's story, which is a feeling that
at CBS have been enshrined
news values."

Listening answers

Special Report

Column I                        Column II                               Column III
(1) Van Sauter               a. Chief Executive Officer    i. Being ousted
(2) Thomas Wyman     b. CBS founder                     ii. Becoming new chairman
(3) Laurence Tisch      c. President of CBS news   iii. Having replaced the last CEO
(4) William Paley         d. Leading stockholder        iv. Having resigned

Answer: (1) —

; (2) —

; (3) —

; (4) —

.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)

a. Revenues used to grow at the rate of
,
,
percent a year; now revenues are
.
    b.
are finding other outlets.
    c. There is new
from the
network.
(2) Mismanagement of CBS:
    a. Wyman was a
, but not a
.
    b. Those talented egos in
require
, but Thomas Wyman is not
.
    c. He was a
kind of manager.

(1) "The CBS
, as you mention, have been
, and they're probably
, but specifically, what were they
? How have they been mismanaged?"
(2) "I think there are probably
at CBS have been enshrined
news values."