Special Report

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

Special Report

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The case presented in the US Supreme Court today is basically related to _____________.

a. paid sick leave for all federal workers b. maternity leave c. unpaid disability leave d. sex discrimination against women
(2) According to California law, all employers are required to provide pregnant women with a disability leave up to ______________. a. two months b. three months c. four months d. six months
(3) The federal law ______________. a. requires special treatment for disabled employees b. does not indicate special treatment for pregnant workers c. insists that the employer decides for himself d. does not single out pregnancy for fear of sex discrimination
(4) A resolution on Lillian Garland's case ____________. a. will be made in the Supreme Court later this year b. will be proposed by the employee herself c. will be introduced some time next year d. will be adopted soon by California Federal Savings and Loan

2. Focusing on Details. Fill in the blanks with detailed information about the argument from two sides of the case.
(1) The bank challenges the state pregnancy disability law, claiming that the state law amounts to
, for the reason that federal law
based on
, whereas the state law
to women for pregnancy while
to men who are
.
(2) California state counters that the state law does
between men and women, that the law
as to
, but
only to
, and that the state law in fact
between men and women, allowing them both
.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
Nine American states already have laws that require all employers to provide jobs for women who would like to work after childbirth.
(2)
The case of Lillian Garland is significant because it might affect laws or regulations concerning maternity leave in various states.
(3)
By 1982, Lillian Garland had worked as a receptionist at California Federal Savings and Loan for three and a half years before she gave birth to a child.
(4)
The bank officials insist that Garland should not be surprised at losing her job because it is a written regulation in the bank that the job is not guaranteed if a woman takes pregnancy leave.
(5)
According to the California law, a woman worker who returns after a three-month disability leave is to be given back the same job if her employer believes that she is still qualified for the position.
(6)
The Reagan Administration insists that no special treatment should be given to pregnant women.
(7)
Many of the major women's organizations believe that the way to solve the problem is to give every employee unpaid disability leave when he or she is sick.
(8)
Feminist Betty Friedan is siding with the Federal law.
(9)
Friedan defends her position by emphasizing that men could not go through the nine months of pregnancy.
(10)
The lawyer for the bank states that all California businesses are in a dilemma because, whatever law they follow, they are likely to be sued by their employees.
(11)
What the California businesses object most is the wording of the California law.
(12)
To the hypothetical question asked by Jusstice Louis Powell, Marion Johnston, California Deputy Attorney General, answers that it is legal although it may not be fair.

4. Spot Dictation. Listen to the tape again and fill in the following blanks.
    "What we have to
, though, is
the disability leave policies. Is
, is
, or are
, the employers, going to set? You, the employee,
for our company under
or working for another company under
. And I believe that that was
to be a
."

Listening answers

Special Report

, for the reason that federal law
based on
, whereas the state law
to women for pregnancy while
to men who are
.
between men and women, that the law
as to
, but
only to
, and that the state law in fact
.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)
(11)
(12)

"What we have to
, though, is
the disability leave policies. Is
, is
, or are
for our company under
or working for another company under
. And I believe that that was
to be a
."