Special Report

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

Special Report

1. Choose the answer (a, b, c, or d) which is not true according to the recording.
(1) The mind has been regarded as a ____________.

a. vessel b. machine c. computer d. bottle
(2) Theodore Rozak _______________. a. is a writer b. regards the mind as a computer c. has written the book The Cult of Information d. is a social theorist
(3) The idea "All men are created equal" _______________. a. has no connection with information b. is a very powerful one c. comes originally from The Cult of Information d. was used for revolutionary purposes
(4) The lowest level of thinking is ______________. a. creative thinking b. data processing c. accumulation of information d. pondering choices

2. Focusing on Details. Fill in the detailed information according to what you have heard.
    There have been
many models of the mind. The mind is
, waiting
; or the mind is
, breaking down sometimes; or the mind is
, processing
. Theodore Rozak believes the mind works more by
than
.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
The statement "All men are created equal" comes from the study of facts and figures.
(2)
According to Rozak, many of our ideas are results of wisdom, insight, judgment or intuition rather than facts and figures.
(3)
Rozak says in his book that our life as a whole is made of the hierarchy of projects.
(4)
Rozak suggests that computer should play a more important part in our life.

4. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statements.
(1) Children are taught to think as a
does. According to Rozak, this is
to
.
(2) According to Rozak, creativity and intuition on the level that scientists study, are in fact
.
(3) People in artificial intelligence promise for a long time that
is going to happen within
.
(4) Rozak believes that these people
(can/cannot) succeed because they are
.

Listening answers

Special Report

There have been
many models of the mind. The mind is
, waiting
; or the mind is
, processing
than
.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

(1) Children are taught to think as a
does. According to Rozak, this is
to
.
.
is going to happen within
.
(4) Rozak believes that these people
(can/cannot) succeed because they are
.