A synopsis of Karnali zone: Getting closure to real Nepal

Karnali Zone is one of the poorest and most remote regions of Nepal, not very accessible by road yet. There are airfields in all districts except Kalikot which is connected by seasonal roadways to Jumla Airport. It is the most underdeveloped area with chronic poverty, lack of road/market accessibility, poor health/sanitation condition yet rich in different sources like natural beauty, medicinal herbs, forest products and many more. Karnali Anchal lies in the Mid-Western Development Region of Nepal. The district falls under this zone are Mugu, Dolpa, Jumla, Humla, and Kalikot whereas headquarter is Jumla. It is much talked about and much debated ‘issue’ to politicians as well as the so called civil society organizations. In addition to that NGOs/INGOs and donors regard Karnali as the best cultivating source for huge donations and assistantships, unfortunately few of them succeed to do so. Prior to my visit, I heard mostly about its vulnerability and chronic poverty, however, my field trip over two weeks in the region has provided crucial grasp to me beyond as reflected below.
This zone is famous due to demographically disadvantaged feature. Harsh climatic condition and topography is another important feature of Karnali zone. There is frequent snowbound and there is lack of access. Accessibility is another important feature of the area. Very few population in compare to other parts, small number of Households dwelling in a scattered setting which creates difficult for the development projects to reach to all the sections of the people. Many times the conflict has created hindrance in the operation of various development projects.

Karnali zone has the people celebrating different cultures. It is better known as developmentally excluded. Marginalized setting is an important feature of the area where majority of the people do not have access to basic needs. There are different types of indigenous groups residing in the region. Some endangered groups i.e. Rautes, Rajis, Kamaiyaas and Kushbadias reside in some parts of the zone. Most of the people of the areas were found to be following the same traditional social structures. Harmful practices like Chaupadi, Caste discrimination and other forms of social evils also prevalent in the zone due to lack of awareness and education on the subject.

Human Development of the area is one of the lowest of the country. Mugu, better known as the 75th district falls under Karnali region. Lack of access to medical services/facilities, technology has created problem for the livelihood of the people. Because there is scattered households and small number of population, it will be difficult for the development organizations, FINGO, Micro Finance, and Banks, commercial organizations’ to show their efficiency and profitable sense hence most of them do not prefer to reach there.

Majority of the people live below the poverty line. Karnali zone occupies the dwelling of the poorest of the poor people. Food insecurity is another important characteristic of the region due to climate and other hazards. Productivity of land is very low in compare to other parts of the country. This results in the chronic starvation and brings frustration among the people though they devote majority of the time in the farm activities, they do not get food enough to eat for 4-6 months.

Majority of the youths flock to different city areas like Surkhet, Nepaljung, and Kathmandu in seek of job opportunities. Similarly many people go India, Arab countries, Malaysia in seek of job opportunities. Due to the lack of road connection and proper market channel, the production of the area like apples, herbs and potatoes are sold in a nominal price.

The availability of the arable land is very much limited in the zone. The production of the crops like Maize, Millet, Wheat, potato, Apple, Lentils is mostly available there. Rice/paddy plantation is available in some parts only. The cost of the farming is very high. As discussed earlier the rate of return is very low which is why the people are frustrated at times. Geographical remoteness and lack of accessibility of the road facilities has created a big hindrance for the development of the area. The development can boom in areas where there is proper connection of the road and communication. Since both of these services are rare, the development process is very slow. Every winter season many people die of extreme cold weather. Livestock farming is badly affected due to adverse weather conditions.

Very few areas of the zone are connected with the link with Cell phones. Newspapers and internet facilities are rarely available in district head quarters. The number of mobile phone users and FM listeners are increasing these days. The remoteness has created many children difficult to reach to the school. Since the population is low, the children from remote distance need to walk hours to reach to the school. Because of the lack of awareness among the parents and security reasons many children are drop out in their primary level grades.

Opportunity Prospectus:
Though there are severe challenges and constraints in the Karnali region, there are many hopes for the future among the people. My experience of working in the development sector from the social worker perspectives, I believe the following could be the most important tools for development.
• Education/ business education: For the development of any society, education plays a vital role. If the people are educated, they can seek for the betterment through various alternatives. In the context of Karnali region, education along with business education and literacy can be the most successful tool for change.
• Access of Road: If there is the connectivity with road, the people have better access to the resources. They can sell their products and exchange with the other products. For example: Jumla has the excess production of the apples, if that is properly connected with road hence market, the farmers do not have to spoil/destroy their products in anger. They get the reasonable price and can be motivated.
• Capacity Building: Towards developing a productive manpower for development works and establishing harmonious working environment the capacity building training should be provided to the youths of that society. Since the government can not provide training for all 5 districts, it can request for the donors assistance to provide software trainings so that it can sustain for long time.
• Livelihood Skill Training: Towards improving the livelihood of the people residing in the Karnali region, meaningful impact making training should be provided to the people.
• Basic Subsistence Infrastructure (healthcare, education, etc): The government and the development partners should be focused on providing basic subsistence infrastructure as well as guarantee the right to basic health and education. This constitutionally.
• Micro Infrastructure Development: It is very important for the short term as well as long term development to have micro projects which can impact highly in the livelihood of the people.

‘Karnali’ has been a blistering issue for debate in the contemporary development/political scenario. Mere awareness and traditional models adopted by the government and development partners needs a crucial change now. First and foremost the income and livelihood project should be prioritized so that people can spend for better health and education of the family members. To enclose such projects, connectivity of transport and communication is a must. Hence, this visit has provided a new understanding about real situation of Karnali dwellers to some extent. I believe that continuance of such visits takes us further closure to internalize the beauty of real Nepal. I urge everyone especially the pioneering social workers and development workers to be in the region and analyze the socio-economic along with overall scenario through your own eyes and get closer to real Nepal.