Class of 2017 Faces A More Rigorous SATⓇ But Also A Unique Score Selection Opportunity

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 04/08/2015 - 19:34

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Today’s high school sophomores are facing a redesigned SAT -- which, for the class of 2017, means a more rigorous exam, but also a unique opportunity to take and choose to submit from three different tests scores: the current SAT, the new SAT and the ACT.

“The new SAT represents a second round test opportunity for today’s sophomores, who will be the only class with the option of trying their hand at three different college admissions tests to see which gives them the best score,” said Seppy Basili, Vice President for Kaplan Test Prep’s college admissions and K12 programs and contributing editor to 5 Strategies for the New SAT. “In other words, the class of 2017 can take the current SAT this fall, then also see how they’d perform with a different version of the test next spring -- in addition to having the option of taking the ACT -- and choosing their best score from all three. As both the SAT and the ACT are accepted by all schools, this is an opportunity that applies uniquely to this year’s sophomores, as long as they plan ahead in order to take advantage of it.”

However, Basili notes that students planning to take the new SAT should also prepare for a more rigorous test, as upcoming changes reflect the Common Core State Standards-- and states that have already been through early Common Core testing have seen a negative impact to their scores. For those who want to get an early jump on the March 2016 test, Kaplan has published 5 Strategies for the New SAT, now available on Amazon, to provide strategies and practice for the new test. Upcoming changes to the SAT include:

Scoring: reverts back to a 1600 point scale

Math: calculator use will be banned for several questions, more emphasis on problem solving and data analysis, including the use of informational graphics (current emphasis is on computational skills)

Reading Comprehension: focuses on “evidence-based reading and writing” using long passage-based questions; short passage-based and sentence completion questions are eliminated

Essay: essay becomes optional (though many schools will require it); demands thoughtful analysis of a long passage and explanation of how an author builds an argument (vs current SAT’s short prompt for a persuasive essay); moves from being the first section tested to the end of the exam

Anatomy: shifts from ten 10-25 minute sections (3 Critical Reading, 3 Math, 3 Writing, 1 essay) plus experimental section to five 25-65 minute sections (1 Reading, 1 Language and Writing, 2 Math, 1 essay)

Administration: will be administered both in print and digital format (current test only administered in print)

For updated information about the upcoming changes to the SAT, visit www.satchange.com. and follow us on @KapTestNews or @KaplanSATACT. And for a 40-second video explaining students’ SAT and ACT test-taking options, please visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QQOoyboVPo&feature=youtu.be.

SATis a trademark registered and/or owned by the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse this product. ACT® is a registered trademark of ACT, Inc., which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse this product.

About Kaplan Test Prep

Kaplan Test Prep (www.kaptest.com) is a premier provider of educational and career services for individuals, schools and businesses. Established in 1938, Kaplan is the world leader in the test prep industry. With a comprehensive menu of online offerings as well as a complete array of print books and digital products, Kaplan offers preparation for more than 90 standardized tests, including entrance exams for secondary school, college and graduate school, as well as professional licensing exams for attorneys, physicians and nurses. Kaplan also provides private tutoring and graduate admissions consulting services. Additionally, Kaplan operates new economy skills training (NEST) bootcamps designed to provide immersive training in skills that are in high demand in today’s job market and prepare participants for hire.

Note to editors: Kaplan is a subsidiary of The Graham Holdings Company (GHC)

MULTIMEDIA AVAILABLE:http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=51074481&lang=en

Article references
finance.yahoo.com