Schools take aim at world stage

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 02/02/2015 - 19:34

The Top Global University Project is a funding project that aims to enhance the international compatibility and competitiveness of higher education in Japan.

It provides prioritized support for the world-class and innovative universities that lead the internationalization of Japanese universities. Selected universities are expected to press forward with comprehensive internationalization and university reform.

Through selection processes, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology designated two private universities and 11 national universities as “Type A,” or “Top Type,” schools and 12 private universities, 10 national universities and two public universities as “Type B,” or “Global Traction Type.”

Top Type universities will receive subsidies of as much as ¥420 million over 10 years starting in the current fiscal year through March 2024, while Global Traction Type universities will receive funding of up to ¥170 million over the same period.

Top Type status is awarded “for world-class universities that have the potential to be ranked in the top 100 in world university rankings,” and Global Traction Type status is “for innovative universities that lead the internationalization of Japanese society, based on continuous improvement of their current efforts,” according to the education ministry.

An open call was sent to the presidents of all national, public and private universities on April 15, 2014, with the deadline of May 30. After receiving 109 applications from 104 universities, the selection committee conducted screenings of the applications, and 37 universities were selected.

The applicants made various proposals such as raising the ratio of foreign students and teachers, increasing the number of classes conducted in English, strengthening partnerships with foreign universities to have more exchange programs for students and teachers and building more dormitories for foreign students.

Applicants were also encouraged to propose implementing efficient human resources management systems to keep high-quality lecturers, have foreigners join in decision-making processes, implement active learning methods, using TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) and other tests as part of entrance exams. Schools are also taking other measures to better globalize themselves.

The selected 37 universities were told to spend the subsidies on globalization projects and report to the education ministry how it was spent.

The selected universities were also asked to set up a committee with outside experts, who will advise them on how to execute globalization plans, and hold meetings to make interim assessments in the fourth and seventh years and a final assessment in the 11th year. They will send reports based on the assessments to the education ministry.

Of the Top Type universities, Keio and Waseda, which are both known for producing top politicians and business leaders, are the only two private universities chosen.

The following are the details of the plans proposed by Keio University and Waseda University.

Article references
www.japantimes.co.jp