Altruism and meerkats

Altruism and meerkats

The passage presents information about altruism found in animals. It presents meerkats as an example, citing the fact that one member always serves as sentinel when the rest of its family goes outside the burrows in search of food. The writer reasons that since the sentinel would make noises to alert its family members on sight of a predator, it is in greater danger to be eaten than the rest of the clan, and that while others forage for food, the sentinel would certainly go hungry. However, the speaker sheds a different light on the idea of "altruism" found in meerkats, she reasons that the member serving as sentinel is not motivated by altruistic factors. The speaker presents evidence based on current research, stating that the sentinel would always eat first before standing guard, thus having better nurishment than the rest of the clan. And that the sentinel would dive into the burrow soon after giving its warning cry, it would be in less danger than foraging members of its family that are further away from the burrow entrance.The speaker further move her observation to humans noting that although many humans commit "altruistic actions" they are often motivated by self -esteem issues such as gaining recognition by society than by true altrusitic motives.