Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? - A university education should be provided free of charge to all interested scholars. - Use examples and reasons to support your position.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
-
A university education should be provided free of charge to all interested scholars.
-
Use examples and reasons to support your position.

I do not agree with the statement that university education should be provided free of charge to all interested scholars. If this policy is applied, it will cause an overflow in student number. Universities willnot be able to keep up with it and the overall educational level will deteriorate.

A first reason I am not fond of the proposed statement is that all students will make use of this new proposal. Most students don't know what they would like to do when they graduate high school. Those who do, will follow their dream, those who don't will think: “Hey, it doesn't hurt to attend university”. Therefore instead of attracting only the motivated students, you will now attract all students who don't have any other future career plan. This will subsequently cause an overflow in student number. A small fee will make sure that only the interested ones will apply.

Linked to the previous point is that the higher amount of students will need a higher amount of professors. If the students don't need to pay anything, the higher amount of students won't bring in any extra money. Paying this new professors therefore becomes a problem. If the government funds the university, this may cause no problems, but if it is a private university, the budget is fixed. A small fee for students would resolve monetairy problems.

A third reason is that the previous two factors will contribute to what is most likely to be a lower level of education that can be offered. Not only will there be less intelligent people who will attend university, also students won't get the attention and care they need. Unless the university can guarantee that it can house and provide enough students with what they need, students should be charged to prevent this problem. After all, a university is still an educational institution and it should strive to keep its level as high as possible.

To summarize, it can be said that I do not agree with the proposed statement of making university free of charge to all interested scholars due to the fact that it will take its toll on the students, the professors, the organization and most importantly the level of education.