Do you agree or disagree with Teachers performance should be evaluated by students rather than by other teachers

Do you agree or disagree with Teachers’ performance should be evaluated by students rather than by other teachers.

In fact, in present day context, a teacher’s performance is not only judged by their peers but by the performance output of the class. I would surely argue against such an approach and feel that a teacher’s performance should be primarily evaluated by the students. All other statistics that we gather in terms of results and feedback could serve as additional parameters for their evaluation but we cannot base our sole decision on them.

First of all, in a given class, the main parties that are involved are the teacher and students. Without involving the students and gathering their inputs we can never have reliable information as they are the main benefactors of the system. To compare this assessment, I can bring up an analogy on how would we know if our public distribution system works without asking the general population? If we were to just involve other parliamentarians in knowing about the system we would never know the fallacies if they are present. To have constructive growth in any field, feedback is important from the concerned stakeholders.

In addition to it, just by basing our evaluation on student’s performance we can be lead to false interpretation. As nowadays, students not only go to schools but also end up in different coaching classes. These classes teach the courses in advance which aid students to ace in their examinations. We cannot base our judgment as it would be misleading information in the light of above explanation.

We should allow students to evaluate their teachers by asking them several questions. Some of them could be: Have the teachers clarified all the subject pertaining doubts in the class? How far have they motivated each of you in the subject? Will they like to take another class from same teacher? Etc.

Finally, by giving the students a chance to participate, we will bring in more accountability into the teaching profession. Teaching will be independent of politics as each teacher would be more concerned with their students rather than to catering to their peers.

Given the above reasons, I am sure we all will agree that we should evaluate teachers by students rather than by teachers.