High school students have to do schoolwork each night. Some people think that after school they should help their parents for chore works in order to learn a sense of responsibility. Do you agree or disagree?

Even though many teachers may sacrifice for their career of teaching and they may have a high expectation to their students’ performance, in my opinion, giving a lot of schoolwork each night may not the best way for students in other learning aspects. Having a space after school allows high school students to learn real life situation especially a sense of responsibility by helping their parents for house works or other nonacademic related tasks.

First, high school students are mature enough to learn other responsibilities. Even though academic subjects in high school are more complicated than previous level and teachers might need students spending more time on it at home, at this period of time they should learn working on some little tasks at their house. For example, high school students can start to wash their own clothes, clean the dishes after dinner or take care other younger siblings while their parent is cooking or still at work. These tasks are not too difficult and over high school students’ ability to handle them.

Second, having a responsibility on household works prepare a teenage student to be a better adult. When it’s time that they have to leave their house for university or college, they will be familiar with taking care of their own stuff. They will know how to cook, how to wash their clothes, how to clean their room or bathroom especially if they have to live with roommates. So, this responsibility will benefit and avoid them from having an argument when they have to live with others.

Finally, some helping from high school kids can relieve their parents’ burden and save their unnecessary expenses. If both parents have a fulltime job and they don’t have much time to do household tasks by their own, and if they have to pay all the house works cleaning or paying for nanny with a minimum rate of 10 dollar an hour, these would cause them a lot of expenses. Moreover, not all families could afford these expenses. So, high school students can help their parents to save their parents’ budget from helping some household tasks.

Academic studying is a necessary for students in order to learn, however starting to help parents doing house works is also a good way for high school students to learn other aspect of responsibility. So I agree that high school students should not have an overwhelm schoolwork each night and should have time for their family.