Integrated essay

Integrated essay

The passage explains how dowsing works and how it can be used as a method to find hidden thing like underground resources or even undiscovered talents. However, the professor introduces some points about how to judge unusual claims that undermine the passage main idea.

First of all, the professor indicates that all claims should be questioned carefully and be verified to see whether they are compatible with known scientific rules or not. She refutes the passage claim that underground water makes frequencies that can be detected by dowser; by underlining the fact that any highly sensitive instrument yet could not detect such frequencies.

Secondly, she asserts that any hypothesis should be subject of meticulous tests to be proved true. She adds that in case of keeping all variables the same, dowsers are shown to be unsuccessful in finding underground water. She contradicts the passage claim that says dowsers can precisely locate the hidden resources like water. Moreover, she attributes the dowsers findings to random luck.

Thirdly, the professor states that it is possible to find underground water anywhere on the Earth if digging down deep enough through the surface of Earth. Therefore, she undermines the claim in passage that ascribes finding of hidden things to the skills and concentration of the dowsers. In fact the task can be done by anybody else too.