Integrated essay "pop culture"

Integrated essay "pop culture"

The reading passage talks about the pop culture which is the permeation of a language within a culture, and how it can be constrained to a certain era or nation. The listening passage supports the information that is mentioned in the reading passage and provides some examples.

First of all, the professor in the lecture sheds light on the fact that some expressions could be only used at a certain era, and he gives an example on the statement" May the force be with you" which was originated from the movie " star war" in 1977 and was used during the 80's in Brittain, canada and the USA. However, he explains that today people are more influenced by "Harry Potter" movies. That information supports what is mentioned in the reading passage of how teenagers usually use different expressions than their parents, which indicates that language can differ at different time.

Moreover, the professor also claims that language expressions could also be restricted to a certain place or nation. the expression " you hazor" is a great example on this regard, as the professor explains that this expression is mainly used in Canada and not in Britain or Australia. Therefore it is a stereotype of a certain country and its culture. This also agree with the reading passage which states that some expressions could only be used in a particular nation either because its culture is not prominent or it is isolated and not mentioned in the Media.