It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects than to specialize in one specific subject.

Although the main some people's thought is specializing in one specific subject, but it seems to me it is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects due to, first, the close relationship that diverse sciences have together, and second being unilateral in our today's world does not recommend to anyone.

To begin with the tight relationship among different scientific fields, if you consider a person who studies for instance chemistry, you will find out that in the promoted level of research the mentioned person needs to have general information about other sciences like mathematics and physics beside of his main work. Also, based on my personal experience, when I was studying at university, I searched on the determination of an element in the natural matrix; so, in spite of my main major, chemistry, I had to study biochemistry and pharmacy too because the studied element was in touch with biological compounds and it had herbal characteristics too.

Also, in our today's world we should avoid being a unilateral person. Imagine a person who is not interested in any academic subjects except his own major. For example he is a teacher, a teacher should have general information about many academic subjects like chemistry, physics, biology, and even social issues; if he does not have this broad knowledge, first, he is not able to create an enthusiasm feeling in his students by making applicant examples of the scientific facts that he teaches; moreover, it is totally embarrassing not to answer the student's curiosity. Also, in friendship gatherings everybody talks about different topics, sometimes some are academic subjects; so, have you ever stuck in this kind of situation that the whole part of the group talk about the scientific fact and you do not have any idea to share with? I know, it is not so convenient at all.

To put the issues into a nutshell, living in today's world alone needs its own knowledge; so, for being successful in your career or being active in group discussions, it is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects.

the main some people's thought
the main of some people's thought

the close relationship that diverse sciences have together,
the close relationships that diverse sciences have been together,