New TOEFL iBT writing sample: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Always telling the truth is the most important consideration in any relationship.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

The traditional virtue of telling the truth in all situations is increasingly doubted by many in today’s world. Many believe that telling the truth is not always the best policy when dealing with people. Moreover, the line of a “truth” is becoming more and more vague. This essay will explore the importance of telling the truth in relationships between people.

We all understand that often the truth is offending and may not be a very nice thing to both hear or say. Lies or white lies often have their advantages. The manipulation of white lies is the most obvious the busine...

This lengthy essay presents a clear and very well-developed discussion of the issue. There are occasional instances of poor phrasing (“the line of a ‘truth’ is becoming more and more vague”), but these are more than offset by the rest of the response, which is fluent, varied, complex, and sophisticated. Again, the only noticeable fault is the failure to capitalize sentence-initial words.