There are time when lying is acceptable Do you agree or disagree

There are time when lying is acceptable. Do you agree or disagree?

I have heard from my child hood that “Honesty is the best policy”. If you lie to someone once or multiple times, you are being dishonest to him. Telling lie is breaking trust. Many people may agree that lying is acceptable on few circumstances. As far as I am concerned, a lie is a lie and should not be acceptable in any condition.

First of all, people may argue that the lie said for the purpose of saving someone is better than telling truth. I totally refute it. Falsehood can save a person for some time but he may have to face worse outcomes when his truth is revealed. For example, one of my friends was unemployed and he lied in his resume that he knows technical writing. If we see the outcome in short run, he got that job which is very good. Now see the later consequences, after joining the job he was unable to perform the given task. This not only brought frustration in him but his boss also got the indication that he was lying in his interview. The final result was really bad. He was expelled from the job and company wrote a note on his employee record that he was a liar. Do you think lying was acceptable in this situation?

In addition to facing the bad consequences, a person can lose trust also by saying one time lie. In the childhood I heard a story in which a cowboy used to frighten people by saying that a wolf has attacked on him. It gave him pleasure for some time to see other persons frightened but later on one day when actually a wolf came, nobody came to help him and he had to lose his life. This gives another example of bad effects of telling lie. It doesn’t matter what was the situation, a single lie can change your reputation from trustworthy to untrustworthy.

Finally, many relations are built on trust only. For example husband and wife’s relation and long term married life is totally depending on trust for each other. My friend Rita told a lie to her husband that she was not involved with anyone before marriage and she got married. Later on when her husband came to know through a common friend that she had few boyfriends, he felt very disappointed. Finally they got divorced which ended their married life. In this situation telling truth might have been the best.

By the way of conclusion, based on the arguments explored I am of the opinion that lying is never acceptable.