You are hereTOEFL essay: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Sometimes it is better not to tell the truth .Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

TOEFL essay: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Sometimes it is better not to tell the truth .Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

sheppard's picture

By sheppard - Posted on 25 September 2005

I agree that sometimes it is better not to tell the truth. In some cases the truth is going to hurt someone and no good will be gained by it. If so, then I don't think that person should be told the truth. There are times when a person needs to know the truth in order to make an important decision, There are also times when telling the truth is the only way to help someone who's being self-destructive. However, often telling the truth only benefits the teller, not the person being told.

If someone has said something nasty about a person, those words don't need to be repeated. However, what if a person has told a shameful secret to a friend, and that friend has told the secret to others? Then that person needs to know that she can't trust her friend, Otherwise ,she might tell that friend other secrets.

What if someone is doing something self-destructive, like partying all night in college instead of studying? Then he needs to be told that this behavior is upsetting his friend who are worried about him. However, if he skips class and teacher asks his friend why he isn't there, it’s not necessary for the friend to tell the truth. He doesn't have to be, but he also doesn't have to give information about his friend's behavior.

Sometimes people needs to know the truth before they can make an important decision. Suppose you're selling your house and you know there's water in the basement. Then you should tell the truth about that to anyone interesting in buying your house. If you don’t, you could be in trouble legally as well as ethically! However, you don't need to tell the truth about the cranky neighbor who lives next door. The neighbor may not be as cranky with someone else as he was with you. Sometimes It's better not to tell.

ashu india

User comment: I want to talk to someone in English to prepare for an exam

apastyRag Ethiopia

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

INTEGRATED ESSAY- SCHOOL ORGANIZATION. sonia123
27) Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. magicsk
Some people say that the best preparation for life is learning to work with others and be cooperative. Others take the opposite view and say that learning to be competitive is the best preparation. Discuss these positions, using concrete examples of both. ronxyz sticky icon
47) Some people prefer to work for a large company. Others prefer to work for a small company. Which would you prefer? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice. magicsk
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?A minimum number of physical education credits should be required for graduation college.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. annisak
INTEGRATED LISTEXING/READING/SPEAKING: QUESTIONS 3(Official guide) sheppard
People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, and increased knowledge).People like to do different things for betterment in their personal life.Some like to attend the college and whil ambikap
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?"We can learn from our mistakes". Use reasons and specific to support your answer. annisak
It is sometimes said that borrowing money from a friend can harm or damage the friendship. Do you agree? Why or why not? Use reasons and specific examples to explain your answer. RishiB
TOPIC# 20 IT IS BETTER FOR CHILDREN TO GROW UP IN THE COUNTRYSIDE THAN IN A BIG CITY. DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE? ftn

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Dancing plays an important role in a culture. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer ioanap sticky icon
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Technology has made children less creative than they were in the past. peyman_np sticky icon
Do you agree or disagree that progress is always good? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. Akbar Sabetkar sticky icon
AsthmaAsthma is ussually seen as a condition whose symptoms can be adequately controlled with the right medicines. Researchers point out that it is an intermittent disorder,characterized by temporary bouts of inflammation of the airways,which lead to typi firefly sticky icon
Some people believe that the Earth is being harmed (damaged) by human activity. Others feel that human activity makes the Earth a better place to live. What is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. jaanu28
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Some people say that the Internet provides people with a lot of valuable information. Others think access to so much information creates problems. Which view do you agree with? Hi, Please check my essa Hakimeh
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Television advertising directed toward young children (aged 2 to 5) should not be allowed. peyman_np
The rules that the whole society today expects young people to follow are too strict. echoqishu
do you agree or disagree with the following statement? distance learning and computer online class should replace classroom learning. use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. salah5531
As countries have developed there has been a trend towards smaller family sizes.Why does this happen? How does this affect society? Akbar Sabetkar