You are hereTOEFL essay: Holidays honor people or events. If you could create a new holiday, what person or event would it honor and how would you want people to celebrate it? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

TOEFL essay: Holidays honor people or events. If you could create a new holiday, what person or event would it honor and how would you want people to celebrate it? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

sheppard's picture

By sheppard - Posted on 26 September 2005

October 24 is Union Nations Day. This day is noted in the calendars, but not observed as a holiday around the world. I want the entire world to celebrate the birth of the United Nations because of its attempts to promote peace, education, and health around the world.

Peace is the most important thing that we can have today. The sooner that we can stop war the sooner we can all have better lives. There are countries around the world that have been at war for generations. In some of these countries, UN Peacekeepers have temporarily stopped the violence so people can go about their lives. If this peace could be made lasting, the lives of these citizens would be much richer.

The UN actively works to promote education. Universal literacy is one of its important goals. Every child in the world deserves to know how to read and write. The UN is also involved in job training for adults. The age of information technology demands new job skills. The UN works with continuing education programs around the world so workers are not left out of the job market.
The UN has played an instrumental role in the eradication of smallpox. Polio vaccines and AIDS-awareness programs have also helped reduce the incidence of these diseases. There is a lot to be done in these areas.

Much of the work of the UN is unknown and underappreciated. If we want to live in a peaceful world, where every child can attend school and where every citizen has access to health care, we need to support the work of the UN. We need to recognize its importance and celebrate its birthday.

Think of a product that you enjoy. Explain how you would advertise this product. What would be the message? What would be the emotional appeal? How would you convince people to buy the product? annisak
Plants can provide food, clothing, shelter or medicine. What is one kind of plant that is important to you or to the people in your country? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your choice. Ariana2811 sticky icon
51. Some people like to do only what they already do well. Other people prefer to try new things and take risks. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice. zesty
Some students prefer classes with open discussions between the professor and students and almost no lectures. Other students prefer classes with lectures and almost no discussions. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your ans nar78
life today is easier and more comfortable than it was when your grandparent were children. deepali1234
Essay topic : Pet should be treated like family member deepali1234
Nowadays, food has become easier to prepare. Has this change improved the way people live? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer swetha.kasarala...
Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible. Other young adults prefer to live with their families for a longer time. Which of these situations do you think is better? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opini NewNewNew sticky icon
What discovery in the last 100 years has been most beneficial for people in your country? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice. sonia123 sticky icon
Do you agree or disagree with this statement? It is better for children to choose jobs that are similar to their parents' job than to choose jobs that are very different from their parents' job. naeeme

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Being able to speak well is better than being able to write well ioanap sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better to save your money for some time in the future? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. okoronkwoac sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important for students to study history and literature than it is for them to study science and mathematics. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. covinfox Independent TOEFL Writing
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? With the help of technology, students nowadays can learn more information and learn it more quickly. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. BasilMooos91 Independent TOEFL Writing
Some people spend their entire lives in one place. Others move a number of times throuhout their lives, looking for a better job, house,community or even climate. Which do you prefer:staying in one place or moving in search of another place? nomantic Independent TOEFL Writing
It has recently been announced that a new high school may be built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? bjeddi Independent TOEFL Writing
TPO14 integrated writing: Salvage logging VertFeuille Integrated TOEFL Writing
It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay. deepali1234 Independent TOEFL Writing
What do you consider to be the most important room in the house? Why is this room more important than any other room? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion andogan Independent TOEFL Writing
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? at universities and collage, sports and social activities just as important as classes an library and should equal financial support? nasrin Independent TOEFL Writing