You are hereTOEFL essay:Which is more important for success: the natural ability you are born with or hard work? Explain your opinion, using specific reasons and examples.

TOEFL essay:Which is more important for success: the natural ability you are born with or hard work? Explain your opinion, using specific reasons and examples.

sheppard's picture

By sheppard - Posted on 25 September 2005

Without a doubt, hard work is a much better predictor of success than natural ability. In my experience, I have seen this at work in sports, school, and work.

Many athletes have a natural ability to run the fastest mile or kick the ball the most accurately. Unless they work hard though, they will not be stars. They need to train daily, eat properly, live correctly. It takes hard work to be Number One.

At school, I have seen many very bright students do poorly on exams. They count on their intelligence to get them through. However, unless they do their homework every day, participate in class discussions, and study for exams, they will be the bottoms of the class.

Many salespeople can talk with anyone and convince him or her to buy something. They have a natural ability to sell. They must however apply some hard work to this skill. They must learn a lot about their customers, about the product they are selling, and about the market, they must put some effort into the paper work that goes along with the sale. If they don’t follow through, the sale will not be made.

Whatever the area, whether on the playing field, at school, or on the sales floor, a person must not rely on his natural ability along if he or she wants to succeed. They must work hard to be a success.

If you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer. magicsk sticky icon
Integrated writing task Lauren
Your school has enough money to purchase either computers for students or books for the library. Which should your school choose to buy – computers or books? Use specific reasons and examples to support your recommendation. ronxyz
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Children should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school. Use specific reasons and examples to support your position tnan3158
People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge). Why do you think people attend college or university? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. zoom
Should pets be treated as family members? yedapoda sticky icon
Some people like to do only what they already do well. Other people prefer to try new things and take risks. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice. hossein021
TOEFL essay: It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay. sheppard
"READING PASSAGE"Solving a problem can be broken down into several steps. First, the problem must be identified correctly. Psychologists refer to this step as problem representation. For many problems, figuring out which information is relevant and which hossein021
TOEFL essay hints:Topic 130,131,132 sheppard

In some organizations, promotions are based on seniority, while in other organization, promotions are based on performance. Discuss the advantages of each position. Then indicate which position you think is best and why? omidway TOEFL
Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better to save your money for some time in the future? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. okoronkwoac sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
What historical event in your country has had a major effect nasrin Independent TOEFL Writing
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important for students to study history and literature than it is for them to study science and mathematics. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. covinfox Independent TOEFL Writing
What are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)? Use specific details and examples to explain why these qualities are important. zeezoo TOEFL
It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay. ioanap sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay. deepali1234 Independent TOEFL Writing
three obstacles which archaeologists confronted in Britain. mitranasrabadi sticky icon Integrated TOEFL Writing
You have enough money to purchase either a house or a business. Which would you choose to buy? Give specific reasons to explain your choice. deepali1234 Independent TOEFL Writing
Sample TOEFL essay: do you agree or disagree with the following statement? people should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. use specific reasons and examples to support your answer sheppard TOEFL

Own a business. ioanap Integrated TOEFL Writing
You have enough money to purchase either a house or a business. Whichwould you choose to buy? Give specific reasons to explain your choice. okoronkwoac sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
Three ways for controlling cane toads in order not to over populate in Australia mitranasrabadi sticky icon Integrated TOEFL Writing
consequences of raising fossil trade mitranasrabadi Integrated TOEFL Writing
Many people believe it is very important to make large amounts of money, while others are satisfied to earn a comfortable living. Analyze each viewpoint and take a stand. Give specific reasons for your position. pazhakh Independent TOEFL Writing
Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. ioanap sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing

Subject : Global Warming Summarize the points made in the lecture you just heard , explaning how they cast doubt on points made in the reading. makar21 Integrated TOEFL Writing
Some people spend their entire lives in one place. Others move a number of times throuhout their lives, looking for a better job, house,community or even climate. Which do you prefer:staying in one place or moving in search of another place? nomantic Independent TOEFL Writing