TOEFL integrated writing: Chevalier de Seingalt

The article states that there are inaccuracy about the memoir of Chevalier where Chevalier distorted or invented many events in the memoir to make his life seem more exciting and glamorous than it really was. And provides three reasons of support. However, the professor refutes the claim and provides reasons of support for each claim.

First, the reading states that Chevalier was not rich as he borrowed considerable sums of money from a Swiss merchant. The professor opposes the point saying that he was indeed rich. He further says that it took time for Chevalier to get money form the sale of his property. As there was delay in getting money he borrowed it form merchant for spending it on parties, but later he would return it once he gets money from sold property.

Second, the reading posits about the inaccuracy of conversations that the Chevalier records in the memoir between himself and the famous writer Voltaire. The professor refutes the point and says he contents in memoir written was true and accurate. Further, he says that after the discussion,Chevalier wrote all the points that night. Witnesses also say that while writing memoir Chevalier verified the points from those noted conversation, many years ago.

Third, the reading claims that Chevalier's escape from prison in Venice is because he had bribed jailors. The professor disagrees with this and says that Chevalier escaped through a hole on the ceiling. According to him there were more powerful prison inmates with Chevalier, but they did not escape as bribing was easy for them. He says that there were records found in old Venice document that the ceiling through which Chevalier escaped was repaired later.