TOPIC # 34 business should hire employees for their entire lives. Do you agree or disagree?

There are a few elements that make a job worthwhile, and one of these elements is job security. However, nowadays, a steady job is barely achievable. I totally disagree with the attitude that companies should provide their employees with a lifelong job for, these reasons;

First, securing a permanent job for employees would deprive young people of the opportunity of working, and would increase the unemployment rate considerably. Young people have a right to work, and benefit from their earned qualifications. It is really unfair that some people get to work forever just because they had the chance to get a permanent job, while energetic youngsters with higher qualifications remain unemployed. For example, I have a master’s degree in chemical engineering from the best university in Iran, nevertheless I cannot find any suitable job while I witness that aged people with lower degrees are still working in major industries.

Second, today’s economic situation and competitive environment prompt employers to seek better and younger workforces with higher degrees and more up-to-date knowledge. They often try to attract new ideas in order to increase their efficiency and profit. For example, a company with old staff having archaic knowledge hardly can keep up with the continuous changing world.

Third, workers knowing that they might lose their job with any shortcoming, would definitely struggle to keep their position in the firm so that they would work better. Although this policy puts employees under a lot of pressure and stress, it is necessary to remind them that only hardworking ones would survive.

To sum it up, I strongly oppose the idea of providing permanent job for workers since this way young people will not be able to experience working, the company will not be competent any longer, and workers will tend to underdo in their positions.