You have received a gift of money. The money is enough to buy either a piece of jewelry you like or tickets to a concert you want to attend. Which would you buy?

It seems not a difficult decision for me. But if I was given the gift of money in different time, I would have different answers.

If I was given the money when I was in my high school, I will buy a ticket to a concert. I had been longing for attending concerts of famous artists to enjoy those transcendent pieces such as saxophone of Kenny G., rock and roll of Cuijian, and romantic songs of Luo Dayou. Unfortunately I just was not able to afford those exorbitant prices. The money I was given should be better if enough for several tickets, for that means I could take along my best friends, whose situations were much similar to mine.

If I was given the money when I was in the university, I will buy a fine piece of jewelry, and give it to my girl friend as a casual present, for we might enjoy a certain concert, but hardly could it be permanently impressive. Memories are always not reliable. We tend to simply forget any thing – at least memories are somewhat distorted – if time past long enough. But if I bought my girl friend a piece of jewelry, not costly though it might be, it would be a perfect reminder, being never changed.

If I was given the money recently, it would only make me feel funny. I don't want to go to concerts anymore, because I became more and more reluctant to present in crowd public places, besides I have bought a super Hi-Fi which always brings me identical pleasure. And I don't want to buy any jewelry, for it is meaningless for a man who is now solitary. Nevertheless, if I was forced to accept some money as a gift – it hardly happens – I might buy some books, after all, reading always makes me relaxed and amazed.