TPO 06 - Question 5

Speaking topics in text

TPO 06 - Question 5

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

The woman’s problem is that everyone jokes around and talks a lot during study meetings instead of studying. She’s got two possible solutions, the first is to change the study meeting from Friday afternoon to some other time. The second solution is to appoint a leader to the group. I think it’d better if she bit the bullet and take on the role of leader. First of all, it is very important for everyone to study during a study meeting or it’s a waste of time. The presence of a leader can keep the discussion on topic. Second, she mentions that Friday night is when everyone is free to meet, so changing the meeting schedule would mess things up for many group members.

1. Now listen to a conversation between a professor and a student.
2. Hi, Sara.
3. Uh, to what do I owe the pleasure of this office visit?
4. It's my study group, Professor Wilson.
5. We are not getting much studying done.And, you know, not all of us did very well on your last quiz.
6. Hmm... What's the problem?
7. Well, we've all become good friends and we joke around a lot instead of studying.
8. Hmm... Sara, let me ask you this.
9. When do you meet?
10. Every Friday afternoon.
11. Have you thought about changing to another day?
12. By the time Friday afternoon rolls around, all of you are probably exhausted, and um, all you want to do is relax and um, unwind.
13. It's hard to stay focused at the very end of the week.
14. Good point!
15. Although things have gotten so out of hand that I'm not sure changing days would help.
16. And we'd lose one or two people if we change days.
17. Friday afternoon is the only time everyone is available.
18. But it's worth considering.
19. OK.
20. But, just a second, another possibility is, does your group have a leader?
21. No.
22. Well, if you had a leader that would help enormously.
23. Someone to set an agenda in advance, email it to everyone before the meeting, and then make sure when you meet that you stay focused on your goals.
24. And since you seem to be concerned enough about the problem to have come see me, I think that someone might be you.
25. I guess I could take on that role, but it sounds like work.
26. You don't have to do it for the whole semester, Sara.
27. You can start it off and then perhaps someone else can take over.